188. With You| Newt AU

( Reader ) P.O.V.

I’ve always felt out of step with everyone. Literally stumbling through life and I can’t seem to find where I belong. Feeling as if I’m stuck in a maze, searching for the exit with my eyes closed. Out of touch with what’s around me.

That’s why when my older brother, Thomas, offered for me to stay with him, I took it. Perhaps moving someplace different would be a good thing. A fresh start.

Thomas is in his early 20’s but he moved out with a friend of his about a year ago. He’s always promised that he’d have me over once he was settled and he never goes back on a promise.

I’m only about two years younger than Thomas but he’s super protective over me. Which is nice but sometimes alarming. But no matter what, I know that he just wants the best for me.

My eyes scan the airport for the tall, dark haired doofus that’s supposed to pick me up. That’s when I see Thomas, standing there with his hands in his pockets and grinning at me.

A smile spreads across my face as he opens his arms to embrace me. “It’s so great to see you again, y/n!” He says with his arms wrapped around me, squeezing my body tightly.

“It’s nice to see you too, T. Although, you’re squishing the life out of me.” I squeak out. We laugh after pulling back. His hand ruffles my hair before he tugs me away.

Thomas piles me and my belongings into his car, talking about what’s happened since the last we saw each other. It feels good to be back with him. He’s always been someone who’s helped me in life; catching me when I stumble, always a stable part of my life, the only stable part in my life.

Our parents agreed to let me come here since Thomas is actually more protective than they are, weirdly. They know that he won’t let anything happen to me. 

When we pull up to his apartment, I start dragging my luggage inside when I trip. Thomas grabs me before I fall, laughing. “You haven’t changed one bit, have you?" 

"Well, neither have you! Always catching me.” I tell him and I apologize under my breath. He takes my bag away from me, bringing it inside with ease. “Nice place you’ve got here, T." 

He thanks me before showing me up to the spare room. "Here you go. You know the drill - if there’s anything you want or need, ask or feel free to look around. Just stay out of the room over here.” He tells me.

“What’s over there?”

“Oh, that’s Newt’s room. What’s mine is yours but I highly doubt that you’d want to go through his stuff.” He says and I nod at him. I guess the whole roommate thing slipped my mind.

After Thomas helps me unpack and put everything away, we plop down in the living room. He asks me what I want to do but I yawn in response. “I’ll play games if you want to rest.” He says. Usually I’d feel bad but it’s my brother.
I thank him before snuggling up to his side and watch him play games. 

Thomas and I have always been close. I always feel safe around him because I know he’s always there. My eyes begin to weigh down and I soon fall asleep.

***
As I wake up, I hear talking in the background and I coax my eyes open. Judging by the sky, it’s mid afternoon. The talking is coming from the TV and I sit up, a cover (that I had not fallen asleep with) falling from my shoulders.