Chapter 2

In the region of Jiangnan, the money gang was a household name. It was an undeniable truth.

Not only is the gang considered the wealthiest in Jiangnan, but no other faction in the martial world can compete with them in terms of financial power.

The rise of the money gang happened because of fortuitous luck and timing.

Over a decade ago, under the rule of the eighth generation emperor, Jiayun, who was incompetent and indulged in pleasures rather than governance, the central plains suffered severe droughts, and Jiangnan faced famine. Border conflicts were frequent, and the people lived in misery.

Visionaries across the land sensed an opportunity for change, and the century-long dynasty seemed on the verge of collapse. Unexpectedly, Emperor Jiayun died suddenly at the age of 37 without leaving a will, leaving behind four princes and two princesses, with the throne's claim falling between the crown prince and the second prince.

Ultimately, the crown prince ascended the throne, and the second prince was exiled, rumored to have been secretly executed. The true circumstances remain known only to those directly involved.

The new emperor proved to be wise and valiant, displaying royal demeanor from a young age. Upon his ascension, he undertook significant reforms, stabilizing internal and external turmoil within eight years, leading the dynasty through a tumultuous era.

At the start of his reign, he introduced numerous reforms, marking a period ripe for rejuvenation. In that era, many seized the opportunity to amass wealth overnight, including the money gang.

Among those who rapidly enriched themselves, many had dubious beginnings, and the money gang was no exception.

The gang's leader, Jin Bao, was initially an illiterate thug, leading a gang in petty theft and living day-to-day.

One day, he heroically rescued a young lady from robbers outside the city. It was out of character for him not to exploit the situation, but he was moved by the lady's beauty and grace.

The lady was grateful, unaware of his ulterior motives.

Jin Bao volunteered to escort her home, showering her with attention. Unaccustomed to male company, the lady found Jin Bao handsome and brave, though his lack of education and coarse manners did not impress her.

However, Jin Bao was far from noble. One night, through a combination of persuasion and alcohol, he consummated a relationship with the lady.

Waking up with regret, the lady realized the futility of her remorse since what happened could not exactly be classified as rape, more like seduction. Having lost her purity, regret was pointless.

Thus, Jin Bao became the son-in-law of the lady's family by delivering her back to her home in Jiangnan.

The lady's background was not ordinary; she was the daughter of a prominent rice merchant in Jiangnan. Although not the largest, her family's business was a respected and established name, making the Zhao family among the local affluent.

Old Master Zhao had only one daughter, and he was ten thousand times reluctant to accept this son-in-law. But faced with such a situation, he was helpless. It was a troubled time; the rice business was not doing well. Old Master Zhao was preoccupied with the family business and did not make things too difficult for Jin Bao.

Jin Bao, though a rogue, was incredibly loyal. Having become the son-in-law of a prominent family, he didn't forget his brothers. He brought them into the mansion to do odd jobs, providing them with a stable life. Jin Bao might have been uneducated, but he was shrewd. He managed to tame his gang of rustic fellows, making them obedient and useful. They didn't cause trouble for Old Master Jin but became reliable guardians of the household. Jin Bao was also savvy in dealing with people; he was exceptionally good to the young mistress and showed great respect to Old Master Zhao, leaving no room for criticism.