Chapter 5

"Dad, Mom, Xiaoyu, I'm back," Xiao Bao's signature call echoed before he even appeared.

A crowd surged out from the main house, at the center of which were the leader of the Jin Money Clan and his wife, surrounded by their maids.

"You little rascal, always away from home, gone for more than a month at a stretch. How can you never sit still?" Old Master Jin scolded with a smile from afar.

"Hehe, Dad, I know you all miss me, so here I am, back again."

Xiao Bao then took his mother from the maid's arms, cooing, "Mom, I'm back. Did you miss me?"

Madame Jin Zhao, looking at her only beloved child, was filled with indulgence, "How could I not miss you? My heart flutters with unease not seeing you for even a day."

"Hehe, I brought back some beautiful embroidered silk for you, Mom. I'll have them made into a few dresses for you tomorrow. You'll look stunning in them, but then you look stunning in anything."

Madame Jin Zhao beamed, "You sweet-talker."

"Ah, where's Xiaoyu?"

"Oh, she's taking a nap. Xiao Die went to call her. She's been clamoring for her brother every day. The moment she hears you're back, she'll definitely come running."

Before she could finish, a crisp child's voice rang from afar, "Brother Xiao Bao~~ Brother Xiao Bao~~ You're back~~"

Turning around, Xiao Bao saw a little girl in goose-yellow, bouncing towards him. Leveraging the momentum, he swept her up into his arms, spinning her around several times in the air, making the little girl giggle uncontrollably.

Planting a firm kiss on her tender cheek, he asked, "Xiaoyu, did you miss your brother?"

"Yes."

"How much?"

Xiaoyu fixed her round, gleaming eyes on him for two seconds, then planted a big kiss on his cheek, "This much."

Then, everyone burst into laughter.

Holding Xiaoyu, Xiao Bao weighed her in his arms, "Xiaoyu, you've gotten so much heavier."

The little one pouted unhappily, "I'm growing taller."

"Growing taller or growing wider? I wasn't as heavy as you when I was ten, little fatty," Xiao Bao teased, pinching her chubby cheeks.

"Liar, look at how plump you are now. You must have been fatter than me when you were young."

"Ah, you little girl, daring to make fun of your brother? I tell you, you are definitely heavier than I was back then. If you don't believe me, ask them."

"I'm not fat at all. Everyone says I'm pretty."

The people around burst into laughter again, especially Xiao Bao, who laughed so hard he pretended he couldn't hold her anymore and almost dropped her, scaring the little girl into crying out.

The entire Jin residence was filled with joy and laughter. Wherever Xiao Bao was, it was always lively.

After dinner, Old Master Jin called Xiao Bao into his room.

"Dad, is something the matter?"

"Yes." Over the years, Old Master Jin had grown accustomed to a life of luxury, shedding any semblance of his bandit past. Now in his middle age, plagued with asthma and a bit overweight, he looked nothing more than a harmless businessman. Who would have thought that this man once climbed to the top by stepping over his rivals?