Chapter 91

Jinbao was not unexpectedly caught and brought back the very next day after his escape. He appeared utterly exhausted and haggard.

Su Yin coldly snorted and stood there, while Zhao Cai, infuriated and frustrated, glanced at them before returning to his room. Jinbao stood there, not knowing what to do, as Que Siming tapped his foot on the ground beside him.

Xiaobao hurried over, circling around Jinbao, “Jinbao, are you alright? Where did you go? I had you memorize the Su residence's address several times; you can’t possibly have forgotten it.”

With a pained expression, Jinbao replied, “Young master, I didn’t get lost.”

Xiaobao frowned, “Then where did you go?”

Jinbao started to stutter, “I...I…”

Xiaobao pulled him aside and whispered, “Jinbao, has Que Siming been making things difficult for you? Don’t worry, you don’t have to go to him anymore. The young master won’t let outsiders bully you.”

Jinbao sneaked a glance at Que Siming and shook his head, “Young master, he... I’m fine.”

Xiaobao pinched him, “What are you trying to prove to the young master? If you were so capable, how could they have done that to you, and you just ran away? I understand that you can’t stand being wronged, Jinbao. In the Jin family, only the old master, the madam, and I—oh, and Zhao Cai—have the right to order you around. But now, the young master... isn’t the young master anymore. Ah, it’s hard to change how I address you. If you don’t want to serve him, then we won’t. But while you are still under his watch, you mustn’t act out, okay? Que Siming changes his face as quickly as flipping a book. What if he gets angry and strangles you?”

Jinbao blinked, unsure what to say.

Xiaobao sighed, “Anyway, I’ll talk to Su Yin. You don’t have to go anymore. Just stay with us from now on. But when you see Doctor Que in the future, you must still show respect, understand?”

He had said that Jinbao wouldn’t have to serve Que Siming anymore. If this had been said earlier, Jinbao would have been overjoyed, perhaps jumping to the sky. But now…

Jinbao sneaked another look at Que Siming and hesitantly said to Xiaobao, “Young master, Doctor Que... hasn’t been making things difficult for me. I still... still need to continue serving him.”

Xiaobao widened his eyes and whispered, “Is he threatening you?”

“No... not really... Ah!” Before Jinbao could finish, someone grabbed him by the collar from behind, causing him to stumble.

Both turned their heads, and there was Que Siming, appearing behind them with a deathly mask on his face.

Upon seeing him, Jinbao first turned pale with fright, then his face flushed red, as if he had been boiled alive.

Que Siming pointed at Xiaobao and said, "Xiaobao, I'm in a good mood today. Normally, if you dared to speak ill of me, I would cut out your tongue and make you swallow it."

Xiaobao swallowed hard, feeling a twinge in his tongue.

"You heard it yourself, Jinbao wants to stay with me. You'd better not meddle."

Xiaobao looked at him skeptically and mustered the courage to ask, "Aren't you threatening him?"

Que Siming glared, about to explode, but Jinbao quickly shouted, "Divine Doctor! The sandstorm outside is too strong, let me assist you back inside for a bath."

Xiaobao looked up at the clear sky, unconvinced.

Que Siming’s lips, moist and beautifully curved, formed a slight smile as he pulled Jinbao away.