Chapter 74

Xiao Bao was shocked to the core when he recognized the youth before him as the one who had attacked him and Huai En in the cave long ago. The dim lighting in the cave combined with his high tension had obscured his memory, but facing him once again jogged his recollection.

Initially, Zong Zheng Shaoyu felt an instinctive dislike for anyone close to Su Yin, particularly if he sensed them as a threat. This person, closely bonded with Su Yin and wrapped tightly like a rice dumpling and noticeably thinner than before, didn't immediately register with Shaoyu. However, upon a closer look and the shock in the youth’s face, Shaoyu recognized him and sensed something significant in his eyes.

Suddenly, Shaoyu's aura turned fierce, his eyes filled with venomous intent that made Xiao Bao tremble with fear.

Pointing angrily, Shaoyu yelled, "Aren't you the insolent wretch from the cave? The damned wretch! I let you escape by luck last time, but today, I shall kill you!" He leapt into the air, his sword unsheathed and aimed directly at Xiao Bao's forehead, giving him no chance to react.

With a loud clash of metal, Su Yin, emanating a fierce aura, lifted a decorative brass sword sheath from the table with one hand, blocking the sword inches from its target. The impact caused Shaoyu's hand to throb painfully, forcing him to retreat.

Su Yin said coldly, "Who allowed you to create chaos here?"

Shaoyu, his eyes widened and his delicate face flushed with rage and jealousy, screamed and charged again, "I will kill him today! Not just kill him, but chop him into pieces!"

Overwhelmed by Shaoyu's intense murderous intent, Xiao Bao stumbled backward, thinking how vicious the youth was. At his age, though unreasonable, he had never contemplated taking a life.

Su Yin shielded Xiao Bao with his body, using the brass sword sheath to fend off Shaoyu.

Shaoyu, infuriated by the disrespect and now by Su Yin's protection of Xiao Bao, felt justified in his anger. In his mind, such disrespect alone was reason enough for Xiao Bao to deserve death ten thousand times over.

Despite his potential and rapid progress in martial arts, Shaoyu was still young and no match for Su Yin. After a few moves, Su Yin knocked the sword from his hand with a chop and twisted his arm behind his back.

Shaoyu's eyes blazed with fury as he shouted, "Su Yin! Let me go! How dare you treat me this way! How dare you!"

Watching the struggling youth in his grasp Su Yin felt a headache coming on.

From a young age, Su Yin realized that the Crown Prince was no good seedling. He had been fed a diet of sinister and malicious so-called imperial tactics by his mother, and assassinations had been a constant in his life since he could remember. His narrow-mindedness and extreme vindictiveness to any offense meant that maintaining a relationship with him was far from beneficial.

However, he was the Crown Prince, and although the power of his maternal grandfather had reached a level where he was a law unto himself, the Emperor had been coveting that power since his ascension and was restrained by it. But unless absolutely necessary, Su Yin really couldn't afford to offend him.

Although the Crown Prince had drawn his sword on Xiao Bao, sparking a momentary desire to kill, Su Yin ultimately softened his tone. "Shaoyu, Xiao Bao and your cousin have been good friends for many years. It's quite rude to greet him with swords drawn."

Zong Zheng Shaoyu was visibly shaken by Su Yin's submissive stance and hesitated for a moment, gradually relaxing. But then, something struck him, and he bristled, "He was in a cave with a man... he likes men!! Cousin, you keep him by your side, but who knows what he really thinks of you!"

This statement made both of them extremely uncomfortable, especially Xiao Bao, who felt a pang of sadness. Did he have to explain that he originally did not like men?

Su Yin sighed, "Shaoyu, don't overthink things. Cousin doesn't care about any past grievances between you and Xiao Bao. Since you are staying at my place, you must follow my rules, or I'll arrange another place for you. But if you dare to harm Xiao Bao, don't blame me for being unkind. Do you understand?" His final words were a threat, and Zong Zheng Shaoyu, understanding the dynamics of power and influence well, though hating to think of harming Xiao Bao, could only nod silently in acquiescence.

Su Yin then let him go but knew he was not someone who would let things go easily. To prevent any harm to Xiao Bao, he planned to arrange for him to stay in a chamber far from Xiao Bao.

But he adamantly refused to stay anywhere but with Su Yin.

When Zong Zheng Shaoyu burst into the inner chamber, he was shocked to find Su Yin apparently living with Xiao Bao, which immediately caused another uproar.

Su Yin had to explain; he was actually staying in the servant's quarters next door.

Originally, it was Zhao Cai who lived there, but to keep an eye on Xiao Bao in case the poison acted up, Su Yin had moved in. Since the servant's room was somewhat spartan and winter had not yet passed, he couldn't make major renovations and had to make do, leaving many of his clothes in Xiao Bao's bedroom, which indeed made it seem like they were sharing a room.

Listening to this, Zong Zheng Shaoyu's eyes nearly bore holes through Xiao Bao, who, frightened, turned away, unable to meet his gaze.

Even a fool could see the kind of feelings Zong Zheng Shaoyu harbored for Su Yin; his unhidden, lifelong adoration was evident, though coming from a man, it was Xiao Bao's first encounter with such.

And even a dominant figure like Su Yin had to tolerate it, clearly indicating a formidable character.

Zong Zheng Shaoyu's insistence on staying in the same room led to chaos in the Su household, drawing Zhao Cai and the other family members into the fray. It seemed Zong Zheng Shaoyu would not rest until Su Yin agreed, much to Su Yin's annoyance, who finally had to compromise.

The servant's room clearly wasn't big enough for two, so Su Yin had to move to the chamber closest to Xiao Bao, temporarily letting Zhao Cai move back in.

Only later did Xiao Bao learn from Su Yin that this young man was actually the Crown Prince. No wonder he was so imperious and autocratic. Reflecting on the startling siege in the cave that shifted from tender affection to swordplay in an instant, although terrified, he still wanted to protect that person, only to realize it was merely a plot, a struggle within the Zong Zheng imperial family, lamentably drawing his Jin family into a tragic role in their games.