Chapter 6

Under the moonlight, a shadow suddenly flashed through the window lattice, moving swiftly like a specter. The elongated figure entered the room and knelt on one knee, "Young master, I am late in my arrival, and the other young master has been injured. Please punish me as you see fit."

The person lying in bed was half-hidden in the shadows, only a head of dense, dark hair hanging in front of the chest was visible. Its glossy blackness under the dim moonlight carried a chill, yet was delicately beautiful.

That person spoke, their voice clear yet ice-cold.

"It's not your fault. It was my decision to go alone initially. As expected, the King of Fighters' Mansion is filled with masters laying ambush from all sides. It would have been a death sentence for any of you to follow."

The person in black felt somewhat guilty and bowed their head slightly.

The person in bed gestured for him to rise.

"Where are the things you were supposed to bring?"

The subordinate hastily set down his bundle, looking puzzled at his young master.

"Young master, why do you still need these things…"

Emerging from the shadows, a clean face with a hint of youthful innocence was revealed under the moonlight. Such beauty, unmarred by the greenness of youth, every bit of it refined to perfection. One could imagine, in a few years, if truly intent, just with this God-given visage alone, he could overturn the whole world.

The young master took the bundle and opened it, pleased to see the elegant women's clothing and some makeup inside. A sly smile curled at the corner of his lips, "Zuo Ying, I will need to dress like this for a while. You and You Ying are not to appear without my command."

Zuo Ying, the man addressed, looked perplexed at his young master. The young master had always loathed this disguise. If it hadn't been for the impenetrable defense of the Mansion, he would never have thought to infiltrate it by disguising himself as a dancing girl.

The person laughed and said, "This time, fortune truly favored me. Do you know who I encountered while being pursued that day?"

"I received the young master's message and rushed over through the night, but I haven't yet had the chance to..."

Before he could finish, both, with their keen senses, heard some noises.

"Go down now, I'll call you if I need anything."

"Yes, young master, take care." As the voice faded, the room was left empty, with only the echo lingering in the air.

The person on the bed tidied up his clothes and soon heard that detestable loud voice, bellowing from a distance.

"Miss Zheng, I have come to visit again."

Huai En's face was filled with disdain and annoyance.

Hearing no response, Xiao Bao was not discouraged and stood at the door, "I wonder if Miss Zheng has had dinner. This is the best inn in Suzhou, where many royals and nobles come for the chef's dishes. If Miss Zheng hasn't tried it, you can't say you've been to Suzhou."

Still no response.

"Miss Zheng might not know, but in the few hours since we parted, it felt like years to me. My thoughts of Miss Zheng, minute by minute, are as clear as day and night, almost to the point of being unable to eat or drink. Miss Zheng's beauty shines as bright as the sun and the moon, and your demeanor kills without seeing blood. Despite the torture of yearning, I find it sweet."

Seeing still no reaction inside, could she have fallen asleep? Impossible, it's only just gotten dark.

Xiao Bao persisted, "Miss Zheng, I've come this time to invite you to a play. I don't know if you've heard of the Joy Theater Troupe, but they've been a hit from the capital all the way to the south of the Yangtze. They're only in Suzhou for three months, and this is their last performance. It would be a pity to miss it. May I have the honor of your company?"