Chapter 23

Huai En's words stunned everyone present, even Yao Ying exclaimed in astonishment, calling out "Young Master."

Su Yin remained outwardly calm, but inside, a storm raged within him. Why did he want to stay? What was his purpose? It seemed like a spontaneous decision. What had he discovered?

Xiao Bao was caught completely off guard by this unexpected opportunity, the weight of this "pie" hitting him so hard he felt dizzy. In his mind, countless fantastic fantasies bloomed.

With a smile stretching from ear to ear, he eagerly replied, "It's an honor, truly! Stay as long as you like, consider this your own home, don't hesitate to make yourself comfortable."

After speaking, he glanced at Su Yin. Strangely, Su Yin just stared back with a dark expression, neither confirming nor denying, which was tacit approval.

Xiao Bao couldn't be happier. With his simple mind and optimistic nature, he didn't bother to ponder why Huai En wanted to stay. What did it matter? He had always had a strong sense of reliance, especially on Su Yin. Whenever he faced something he couldn't understand or handle, his parents were there, and if not them, then Su Yin would always find a solution. With Su Yin around, he didn't even need to fear Huai En's martial prowess.

Right now, he was intoxicated with immense happiness and contentment. He had a golden opportunity to settle the score with Huai En once and for all!

Xiao Bao excitedly went to inform his parents about his friend's arrival. Mr. Jin and his wife had never been interested in his social circle; the household was vast, and encounters were rare, not something they concerned themselves with.

Then, he busied himself arranging accommodations for Huai En and his entourage of over a dozen people, specifically placing Huai En in a separate courtyard next to his own.

Xiao Bao was bustling with excitement, organizing Huai En's room with more enthusiasm than he had for decorating a new room. Meanwhile, Huai En sat under a tree, expressionless, watching him busy around.

Most of the time, Huai En was like a beautiful doll, silent and still, with a dark gaze fixed upon you. Now, his eyes were firmly locked onto Xiao Bao, devoid of emotion. Of course, Xiao Bao didn't believe Huai En harbored any romantic feelings for him; Huai En wasn't the type to develop feelings, let alone romantic ones. But usually, Huai En wouldn't even spare him a glance, so Xiao Bao found himself torn between joy and anxiety, his emotions tangled beyond belief.

Xiao Bao found it increasingly difficult to bear Huai En's gaze, feeling as though he were plunged into an icy abyss, sweat beading on his forehead. He rubbed his face and ran over to Su Yin's side. "What are you all talking about?"

His two attendants had been pulled aside by Su Yin since earlier, and they all wore serious expressions.

Su Yin gave him a sidelong glance. "I'm going to Dian Nan."

"Dian Nan? Are you going to see your grandfather?" Dian Nan was the fiefdom of Su Yin's great-uncle, the Prince of Li Qin, who was currently the emperor's third uncle.

"When are you leaving?"

"Right away."

"Right away?" Xiao Bao looked at him in astonishment. "But you're not prepared at all, and you didn't even give prior notice. The journey is so far, why the rush? You should at least make some preparations..."

Su Yin impatiently waved his hand. "There's no time to waste."

Xiao Bao had a nagging feeling that this had something to do with Huai En. Carefully, he asked, "What's the matter that you're going to see your grandfather?"

"I've told you, it's pointless to explain."

"I've told you, it's pointless to explain," Su Yin reiterated firmly.

Xiao Bao felt choked up, unable to find words. He realized that once Su Yin left, he would be left without a pillar of support. How would he deal with Huai En? But Su Yin's decisions were final and unchangeable. With a mournful expression, he looked at Su Yin.

Su Yin whispered, "Xiao Bao, don't blame me for not warning you. Be cautious and alert. I'll have Zhaocai JinBao keep an eye on you. This person's identity is of great significance, and I can't tell you everything right now. Whoever he is, he's up to no good. Please understand, it's easier to invite a Buddha than to send one away. If he insists on staying, don't think it's a good thing. You must be vigilant at all times. I will definitely be back within a month at the latest. If you neglect your guard, it won't just be your misfortune, but it will also bring trouble to the Jin family. Do you understand?" 

Xiao Bao noticed the solemn expression on Su Yin's face, and couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. It was as if what he had said carried grave significance, even though he didn't fully comprehend it. Yet, he was keenly aware of Huai En's mysterious and dangerous nature; within the layers of shielding at the Jin Mansion, he found solace. Otherwise, he wouldn't dare to come close to someone like Huai En, whose origins were obscure, intentions unclear, and penchant for violence evident.

It wasn't that he doubted Huai En's motives, especially considering Su Yin's reasoned actions. When Su Yin cautioned him to be vigilant, Xiao Bao would indeed be on guard. However, in his mind, these concerns were Su Yin's burden to bear. The allure of Huai En's desires could easily overwhelm his already limited rationality in an instant.

He then instructed his servants to prepare a simple travel pack for Su Yin. Su Yin only brought along one personal bodyguard, leaving behind several skilled attendants from the Su Mansion to stay by Xiao Bao's side. Su Yin also instructed him to seek aid from the Su Mansion immediately if trouble arose—a gesture that truly touched Xiao Bao.

After bidding farewell to Su Yin, Xiao Bao turned back towards his private villa and unexpectedly encountered Huai En on the way.