Chapter 88

Huai En clearly observed the expressions of the two men but remained dismissive. To them, the imperial authority that was higher than the heavens held no significance to him.

He looked at Zongzheng Yunlian with the same indifferent and icy demeanor as usual, indistinguishable from any passerby. "Whatever relationship we have, I'm not interested in knowing, nor will I return with you to the palace. Just get me a horse; I need to continue my journey."

Although the three attendants had been dismissed by Zongzheng Lizhan and there were no outsiders present, Huai En's irreverent attitude towards the emperor caused the three of them to frown.

This time, Zongzheng Shaoyu remained silent, while Zongzheng Lihan lightly rebuked him, then waited to see his imperial brother's reaction.

A flicker of unusual emotion crossed Zongzheng Yunlian's face, seemingly unconcerned, he abruptly changed the topic, "Does Yuzhan treat you well?"

Impatient, Huai En furrowed his brow and simply turned away to leave.

Zongzheng Yunlian, startled, called out, "Stop right there!" After shouting, he seemed uneasy, as if he still needed to maintain the demeanor of a compassionate father, hesitating and stunned on the spot, watching as Huai En walked farther away.

Zongzheng Lihan whispered in his ear, "Your Majesty, Huai En is naturally proud and difficult to tame. Easing his guard won't happen overnight; don't push him too hard."

Zongzheng Yunlian frowned, "Currently, the third prince is temporarily managing state affairs. I cannot stay away forever. If he remains so stubborn, we might as well bring him back by force."

"Your Majesty, that method is not advisable. We still can't confirm if he truly is... It might be a ploy to disrupt our plans. Moreover, Huai En is skilled in martial arts; subduing him would inevitably require causing him serious harm."

Zongzheng Yunlian gazed at Huai En's retreating figure, his expression somewhat vacant, "Even if he's not my own son, he is undoubtedly the flesh and blood of Tong En. No matter what the truth was back then, I've felt guilty these years, often sleepless at night, thinking of the sufferings Tong En endured. If she knows below, she surely hates me to the bone. Even if he is Yuzhan's child, he's still my nephew, and Yuzhan doesn't want him... but I do. Moreover, if he really is the second prince's son, having him would make the second prince wary of us, given his affection for Tong En, he surely cannot let go."

"What does Your Majesty imply?"

"He wants to go to Huai Mountain to find that flower, right? We need to get it before he does."

"Yes."

Zongzheng Yunlian continued to gaze in the direction where Huai En had disappeared, then suddenly said to Zongzheng Shaoyu behind him, "Imperial son, he is different from you."

Zongzheng Shaoyu raised his eyebrows and knelt down, "Father Emperor, Shaoyu understands."

"You are also not young anymore. Look after your mother on my behalf, make sure she keeps quiet if she wants to live a longer life."

Zongzheng Shaoyu's face turned pale, and he spoke softly, "Shaoyu understands."

"As for your dealings with Su Yin, I do not wish to interfere. You must be sensible yourself, and not be 'stealing a chicken only to lose the rice.'*[Trying to gain a small advantage only to end up worse off.]*"

"Shaoyu understands."

Zongzheng Yunlian nodded, sighed, and said, "Go and attend to your duties. Make sure to get the item before he does, and then we'll meet fifty li north of Huai Mountain."