Chapter 7

In the grand courtyard of the Junyue Inn, the final performance of the Joyous Troupe was set upon a high and extravagantly decorated stage. Rumor had it that this show would surpass previous performances in splendor, drawing not just a packed audience on the ground floor but also dignitaries in the private rooms of the second and third floors. The price for the best viewing spots on the second floor had skyrocketed to a thousand taels of silver.

When Jin Xiao Bao made his entrance, all smiles and radiating springtime warmth, it caused quite the stir.

Firstly, as the sole heir to the wealthiest individual in the South, he demanded nothing but the finest treatment wherever he went. No one wanted to offend such a major financier. Additionally, the buzz around Suzhou city was that the young master of the Jin family had brought back a woman of unparalleled beauty. Many had come, driven by curiosity, eager to witness this legendary grace for themselves.

Perhaps it was the public setting, but when Xiao Bao assisted Huai En out of the carriage, the lack of resistance seemed to fill him with an unparalleled joy. Surrounded by the admiring and flattering crowd, Xiao Bao strutted around, flaunting Huai En as if she were his wife.

Huai En's face, hidden beneath a veil of white silk, remained a blur, revealing only the vague outlines of her features. Yet, even this obscured view of her exquisite silhouette and superior demeanor was enough to captivate all those present.

(T/N lol "she". We're switching pronouns here back and forth because he thinks Huai en is a girl, so sees him as a she. Can't wait until he finds out otherwise XD)

He observed Xiao Bao's graceless antics with a detached coolness while his senses remained sharply attuned to their surroundings.

Suddenly, he felt a prickling sensation all over, a warning of impending danger. Lifting his gaze, he locked eyes with a pair of narrow, icy stares bearing down on him from above.

Zong Zhengli Han!

Without betraying any alarm, Huai En subtly lowered his head. He grabbed Xiao Bao, who was still obliviously bragging to the bystanders, and hissed, "Let's go inside."

The casual force Huai En exerted was enough to nearly wring a cry of pain from Xiao Bao, who silently lamented the likely bruising on his arm. Yet, considering it was the first time the beauty had initiated contact, and he could catch the faint, intoxicating scent of her, he felt it was an occasion worth celebrating with fireworks. No matter the pain, he was determined not to show weakness, unwilling to let the beauty perceive him as frail.

If Huai En knew of his current thoughts, he would be utterly astounded at the extent of Xiao Bao's lustful recklessness.

Xiao Bao led the way eagerly, their passage stirring whispers and excitement among the crowd. Everyone was curious about the true face of the stunning beauty rumored to have caught the eye of Jin's young master. However, their anticipation turned to disappointment upon seeing only the veiled enigma.

Xiao Bao basked in pride, having earned himself considerable face.

Whenever the young master Jin made a public appearance, having a beauty by his side was expected. With wealth at his disposal, he could afford to parade around with the most sought-after courtesans from every brothel in Suzhou city if he wished. Yet, this time, the beauty accompanying him was shrouded in mystery, a stark contrast to his usual flamboyance.

Nobody knew the origins of this enchanting woman, not her name or how she came to be acquainted with Jin's young master. Those who had glimpsed her true appearance within the inn were utterly astounded, speaking of her beauty as if it were beyond the pale of human comprehension. No amount of poetic praise seemed enough to encapsulate her allure. The mysterious, ravishing beauty sparked insatiable curiosity.