Chapter 48

Xiao Bao felt a tingling sensation on his scalp and quickly pushed him away to lower the curtains of the carriage, signaling to continue on their journey. He pulled Huai En inside, saying, "Come closer; your foot is still sticking out."

The recent moment had been unmistakably ambiguous, and he noticed the odd looks from people outside, especially the envious glares from Zhao Cai and Jin Bao, whose eyes were nearly bulging out. He had always openly declared his affection for Huai En, but he wasn't ready for others to know that he was the one being pinned underneath.

He was the famously charming and sought-after Jin Da Shao of Suzhou, known across the four provinces of Jiangnan. Every well-known beauty had shared a fleeting romance with him. Such tales were the delightful gossip of idlers in the martial world. Now, the thought of being known to be overpowered by someone smaller and more delicate than him... the very thought made it difficult for him to save face. He felt he owed it to others, especially his servants, to have time to adjust, ideally flipping the script in the process.

Huai En, unaware of his turmoil, looked at him with a slight frown for pushing him away.

Xiao Bao gave him a warm smile, hurriedly helped him off with his shoes, and arranged the already smooth bedding for him as the carriage started moving. He lay down next to Huai En, adjusting his position.

With one arm around Huai En's waist, he softly asked, "Does it still hurt?"

Huai En shook his head, "Such minor injuries are nothing to me."

Xiao Bao, remembering the encounter with Zhao Cai, hesitated before finally asking, "Who were those people? Why did they want something from you?"

Huai En looked at Xiao Bao, his eyes still shimmering but as if veiled, becoming more indifferently serene.

Seeing into Huai En's eyes, Xiao Bao continued, "Huai En, I know nothing about your affairs, and I'm not trying to pry. But since we have already... already..." Xiao Bao couldn't continue, and Huai En covered his eyes with his hand.

Huai En felt Xiao Bao's eyelashes brushing against the palm of his hand, tickling him. If Xiao Bao could see, he would realize how uneasy Huai En was. Sooner or later, Xiao Bao would ask these questions. Xiao Bao was not one to keep secrets, and in his trusting eyes, Huai En saw suspicion. Huai En was not good at lying, especially to Xiao Bao, whose trust he fully had.

He felt a hint of panic as the carriage carried them towards their destination, unable to slow the pace of unfolding events. He could take on Xiao Bao as an unforeseen factor, but what right did he have to bear more for him? Yet, he hesitated now because he didn't want to see Xiao Bao hurt.

Before he could think of a good solution, he couldn't tell Xiao Bao anything, so all he could do was cover his eyes, saying, "Don't look at me like that."

He saw Xiao Bao bite his lip, then release it, raising his hand to slowly move Huai En's away, his eyes clear with love and understanding, "If you don't want to speak, that's okay. I'll wait until you're ready. But everything you've told me, it's all true, isn't it?"

Huai En hugged him tighter, "It's all true, not a single lie."

Xiao Bao nodded in his embrace, his warm breath fanning over his chest and neck.

"Xiao Bao."

"Hm?"

"I know you were scared just now."

"I actually…"

"But you still wanted to save me."

Xiao Bao smiled, looking proud, "Was I very brave just then?"