Chapter 1

Home is where our story begins...
-Unknown

Nicole's POV
I woke up at about 9:00 A.M. I remembered that Parker's mom, Ms. Nancy, said that he
would be back along with his dad and brother for lunch. They were supposed to go finish the job after lunch, something about his dad's road company. I figured that I would go ahead and go to his house. I took a shower, and I ran into my room to find my clothes for today. It's the first time in forever that I'm seeing my best friend, well, my guy best friend.

I wanted to look cute, even though he wasn't my boyfriend, and I didn't like him like that. At least, I don't think that I like him like that. He's my best friend, and you can't have feelings for your best friend, right?

Anyway, I put on some skinny jeans and a The North Face hoodie. I brushed and dried my hair. I put my hair in a side braid and did my makeup lightly. I had to search for my gray fuzzy Uggs in my unpacked boxes. I finally found them, and slipped them on. I grabbed my phone and put it into my purse. I grabbed my keys along with my purse and headed out to his house to see his mom.

***

I knocked on the front door. I was kind of scared, really. I haven't seen anyone around here for seven years. You would think that my best friend would come see me, since he goes everywhere else. He just hasn't gotten the time, he told me. The closest I've come to seeing anyone from around here is FaceTime. I do FaceTime with him a lot, at least once a week.

His mom answers the door and greets me with a hug.

"Nicole! I haven't seen you in forever! You've grown up so beautiful!" Ms. Nancy said as we hugged.

"It's great to see you, Ms. Nancy! I've missed everyone so much!" I said as we walked inside and sat on the couch. "Wow, it's been a while since I've been in here."

"It has, honey. I'm so glad you're back, and everyone else will be, too."

"I hope so. I know that I'm happy to be back. I can't wait to see everyone again."

"Roger, Payson, and Parker are working right now. John and Erma are at their house. You should go see them sometime."

"Maybe I can get Parker to go with me. I really do want to see them."

"I'm sure he'll be happy to go with you."

We talked for around two hours. We talked about Parker's work, and she told me about his old girlfriends. She said that even when he had a girlfriend, I made him smile when he texted me. She thinks we're perfect for each other and now that I'm back, we can be together. I said that I didn't think he likes me like that. She told me that he did, that she saw it in his eyes when he talked about me. It made me smile and we talked about something else.

"....yeah, I think he told me about that..." I was saying as Parker walked in the back door while we were sitting at the dining room table.

Parker's POV
I ran into the kitchen through the back door. I looked over to the dining table and my eyes widened, my jaw dropped, my heart started racing, and I ran over there to her, my best friend. She stood up when she saw me running to her with a big smile on my face. I hugged her for the first time since I hugged her goodbye when I was thirteen.

"You butthole. You didn't tell me you were coming. I'm so mad at you." I smiled.

"Yeah, you sure look mad. Surprise! I'm here!" She laughed.

"Really, I'm so excited you're here! But you could've told me for real." I nudged her arm as I sit in my chair beside her.

"It's a surprise. I've moved here!"she smiled.

"You're lying! Nuh-uh! For real?!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, I live in the little trailer down the road about ten minutes." She said excitedly.

"No way. Mom, did you know about this?" I looked at Mom.

"Yes, son, I did. I helped her get that trailer. She wanted it to be a surprise." Mom answered as she went to fixing plates for lunch.

"I still can't believe you're here. We're going to do something. We're going somewhere fun. We got seven years to make up for. Oh man, Dad and Payson are going to flip." I smiled as I held her hand under the table.

"Where are they, anyway? I thought that they were with you." She asked, intertwining our fingers.

"Oh, they said they would be here in a few. I just went on ahead. Oh, wait, Mom, do they know she's here?" I said.

"Your dad does. Payson doesn't." She set our plates on the table. We thanked Mom for the food and started eating. I was so happy that she was here. She looked so beautiful and I realized something right then and there at the table with her.