Chapter 68

(((May 7, 2016)))
Nicole's POV

"Hannah, I don't know what's wrong with me." I said as I sat down on the couch.

"What do you mean?" Hannah asked as she turned down the volume on the television.

"I haven't had my period in two months."

"What?! Nicole!" Hannah gasped. "Are you sure it's been that long?"

"Yes. I've been keeping track, and I'm two months behind. I know I'm irregular, but I'm usually not two months late." I explained. "I thought maybe I just skipped a period, but I haven't had one for this month either, and it's almost over."

Hannah shook her head in disbelief. "Nicole! What if you're pregnant?"

"No, there's no way." I shook my head.

"Have you forgotten about the time you and Parker were separated and you didn't take —"

"Oh, crap." I groaned.

"And then you had sex with him unprotected."

"I was just so distracted thinking about how I was going to get him back." I said as I covered my face with my hands.

"No, you just didn't care." Hannah said.

"What am I going to do, Hannah?" I groaned.

"I'm going to go get a pregnancy test, and you're taking it." Hannah ordered as she stood up. "Because if you are pregnant, I'm pretty sure that there's things you need to be doing."

"I'm not pregnant. There's no way." I said, trying to convince myself.

"We'll know when I get back, won't we?" Hannah said as she walked towards the door. "Bye, preggo."

"Shut up, Hannah!" I said as I saw her walk out and shut the door behind her. I whispered to myself, "I'm not pregnant."

But what if I am?

***

About twenty minutes later, Hannah came back in the door carrying a brown bag. I exhaled in dread of what I was about to do. I stood up and followed Hannah down the hall to the bathroom. I sat down on the toilet seat and put my head in my hands. This was not how I was supposed to get pregnant.

"Remember how you were there for me when I thought I might be pregnant?" Hannah smiled.

I nodded without lifting up my head.

"Well, I'm here for you. And no matter what these tests say, it's going to be alright."

"What's Parker going to say?" I said.

"It's going to be just fine." Hannah assured me. "Now, you know how they work. I'll be in the living room."

Hannah walked out of the bathroom.

***

I walked out of the bathroom, and I had to wait ten minutes until the tests would be ready. A million thoughts were rushing through my head. How could I let this happen? How could I be so careless? What's Parker going to think? What's Mom and Dad going to think? What are we going to do if I am pregnant?

"We gotta wait." I said as I plopped down in the chair.

"Nicole, if you are pregnant, it's going to be just fine. You've always wanted a little baby, remember?"