Chapter 50

(((Same day)))
Parker's POV
As I drove down the road with Nicole beside me and Kayleigh in the backseat, I found my eyes wandering from the road over to Nicole who was staring out the window. She said she was fine, but I knew that she wasn't herself. She had been trying to act like herself, but I could tell that she was sick. She was more pale than usual, and she was distant. I watched her move her head from looking out the window to laying her head down on her knees as she wrapped her arms around her stomach. I moved my hand from the gear shift and started rubbing her back.

"I think we should get you some medicine or something." I said to Nicole.

"No, I'm fine. I'm feeling better, really." She said as she looked up at me.

I looked at her face. She just looked sick. She faked smiles and started talking to Kayleigh until I finally gave in to her "I'm fine" bit.

"Okay, but when we get home, I'm telling Mom about how you've acted today. And we'll decide if you're going to the doctor tomorrow." I said.

"I'm fine." Nicole stated.

"Yeah, whatever. I'm not going to sit here and watch you get sick and get worse. I know you're trying to be fine because you want to enjoy this week with Kayleigh and me, but you have to not be sick. Going to the doctor won't be that bad." I said.

"Yeah, Nick. If you need to go to the doctor, you need to go." Kayleigh said.

"I'm fine." Nicole said again.

I drove onto the ferry to Haines, and we all just sat in the truck for a while. Nicole moved into the backseat to lay down, and Kayleigh moved into the shotgun seat. I looked at Nicole every few seconds, feeling her forehead every few minutes. She obviously had a temperature, but I didn't really know what to do about it. I watched her fall asleep in the backseat, using my hoodie for a pillow.

"I'm going to call my mom, okay, KayBug? I'll be back in a few minutes." I whispered as I tried not to wake up my sick girl.

Kayleigh looked up from her phone and nodded. I quietly opened my door and stepped out as I gently closed it back. I walked over to the edge of the boat and leaned up against the rail as I dialed Mom's number. Who else could I call about Nick being sick?

The phone rang a few times until Mom finally picked up.

"Hey, Parker." Mom said.

"Hey." I said as I let out a deep breath.

"Have you picked up Kayleigh yet?"

"Yeah, yeah. We're on the ferry home now."

"Good. So you should be here around eight or so."

"Yeah, as soon as possible."

"What's wrong, honey? You sound like you're worried about something."

"It's Nicole. She's been feeling bad ever since about halfway through the first ferry ride. Her stomach hurts, her head hurts, she looks really pale, she has a fever, I think."

"Where is she now?"

I ran my fingers through my hair. "She's in the truck asleep with Kayleigh."

"Where are you?"

"I'm leaning up against the rail of the boat. I can see the truck from here."

"Well, what do you think is wrong with her?"

"I think it's because she hasn't ate anything today, but she promised me that she had eaten today, but I don't think she has. I'm really worried about her, Mom."