Chapter 101

(((August 8, 2016)))

Nicole's POV

"I can't believe we didn't get here till after midnight." I said to Parker as I was putting on a pair of sweatpants.

"I know. Everybody was asleep when we got back." Parker said as he was putting on his boots.

"I think I'll make French toast for breakfast." I said as I took down my hair to brush.

"That sounds good." Parker smiled as he grabbed his hat off the dresser I was standing in front of.

"I'm going to go check on everything before breakfast. I should be done before you get through cooking." Parker said before kissing my cheek.

"Okay, see you in a little while." I smiled.

***

It was almost 7:30, almost time for the men to be coming in for breakfast. Rick was the first one to come in at 7:24.

"Hey, Nick!" Rick smiled.

I turned around and smiled. "Hey, Richard."

"How you doing?" He asked me as he sat down at his usual seat at the table.

I sighed as I put a piece of freshly cooked French toast on a plate along with the other ones. "I'm doing alright, I guess."

"Parker said you've been really tore up." Rick said.

"Yeah, I have." I admitted. "Cried everyday since it happened. I haven't cried today yet, though. But it's still early."

"I'm sorry, Nick." Rick said.

"Shit happens." I shrugged as I sprinkled cinnamon on the pieces of toast. "Can't do anything about it."

"That's true." Rick said as he walked towards the refrigerator. "We called off all the bets."

"How nice of y'all." I smirked as I saw him pour himself a cup of coffee. "It was a boy, though."

"Yeah, I know. Parker told me." Rick smiled sympathetically.

"He was a really pretty baby." I said as I put two slices of toast on a plate for Parker.

"I bet he was." Rick said as he got his own plate and food.

"He was." I said to myself as I wiped a tear from my eye. "Well, there goes not crying today." I chuckled slightly as I let out a sob.

"You'll get through it, Nick." Rick said as he walked by me and patted my back. "You're a tough chick."

I chuckled, wiping the tears off my face with my oversized tee shirt. "Thanks. Good lord, where's everybody at?"

"I don't know but they need to hurry their asses up. I need to get sluicing up at Indian River." Rick said as he sat down.

Parker walked in the door and the first thing he said was, "Well, where the hell is everybody?"

"I don't know." I chuckled. "I just said that."

"Well, I'm eating." Parker said as he set down at the table where I had set his plate. "Nick, where's the syrup?"