Chapter 41

(((February 8, 2016)))
Parker's POV
Grandpa has surgery at 9:00 this morning. The hotel that we are staying in is about twenty minutes from the hospital. We all agreed that we wanted to be there before he went into surgery. We were supposed to be gone from the hotel by 8:30 at the latest.

"Parker!" Nicole said as she shook me, trying to wake me up. "Parker! Get up!"

I groaned and turned over.

"Parker! It's 8:30. Get up!"

I popped open my eyes and jumped out of the bed. "Shit. Did you just get up?"

"Yeah. The other two are still asleep."

"I'll get them up. You go get ready. We'll make it there." I said as I was putting on a shirt.

"Yeah, okay." She nodded as she went to the sink.
***
"Girls! Hurry up!" I said as Payson and I were waiting by the door to go at 8:40.

"We're coming!" Nicole said from the mirror where she and Hannah were brushing their hair.

"You can do all that in the truck. You got clothes on. Let's go." I said as I grabbed my phone and keys.

Nicole rolled her eyes as she started putting stuff in her purse. "Come on, Hannah. We're going to be late."

"Yeah, let's go." Hannah said. "It's the guys' fault that we're late, anyway."

"What you talking about? We're ready." Payson said.

"It doesn't matter. Let's just go." Nicole said as she headed out the door.

We all walked out of the hotel room and outside into the parking lot to get into the car.

"Maybe if I drive fast we'll get there in time to see Grandpa before he gets wheeled to the O.R." I said as we pulled out of the driveway.

"Don't drive too fast, baby." Nicole said.

Payson laughed. I've been known to drive a little too fast sometimes.

We pulled into the driveway of the hospital at 8:57. We all hurried into the hospital and went right to Grandpa's room.

"Grandpa?" I said as I walked into his room.

"Hey, Parker!" Grandpa smiled from his bed. Nurses were about to roll him down the hall to the operating room.

"Sorry we're late, Grandpa." Nicole said.

"Oh, I'm just glad you're all here." Grandpa said.

"We're about to wheel Mr. Schnabel to surgery." One of the nurses said.

"Can we have a minute first?" Nicole asked.

"Sure." The nurse smiled and they both walked outside of the door.

"How you doing, Grandpa?" Payson asked.

"Well, they've already gave me the anesthesia, so I'm feeling kind of sleepy." Grandpa answered.

"Where's Grandma?" Parker asked.

"She went to her room right before you came in." Grandpa answered.