Chapter 100

(((August 6, 2016)))
Nicole's POV

"Hungry?" Parker asked as he was getting his plate of breakfast.

"No, I'm not." I said as I texted my Nana back.

"Alright then." Parker sighed as he sat in the seat beside me at the bar. "So I've been thinking about something."

"About what?" I asked as I rested my head against my hand.

"You know how me and Rick were talking about going on that trail up to Dawson once the season ends."

"I didn't actually think you were going." I said as I typed on my phone. "You haven't mentioned it for months."

"Well, I wasn't going to go what with you pregnant and all, but since..." Parker began.

"Since the baby died you figured you'd go again." I interrupted him.

"Well-"

"Do whatever you want, Parker." I said as I got up from the barstool and walked into the living room where everyone else was.

"Did you get enough to eat, Nicole?" Mom asked me as I sat on the couch beside Hannah.

"Yeah." I lied. "It was good, Mom."

"Thanks, honey." Mom smiled before going back to reading.

A few minutes later, Parker came in the living room and asked us if we were ready to go. We all got up from our relaxing seats and started out the door.

***

After our little funeral for Roger Fredrick was over, Hannah and Payson had to leave because they were going to miss their flight back if they didn't. Mom and Dad asked us if we wanted them to stay, but Parker said that we were fine and for them to go back home. So that left Parker and me sitting in front of the grave.

Parker had his arm around my shoulder and I rested my head on his chest, wiping a tear from my eye.

"I asked the doctor what color eyes he had." Parker told me as he looked out into the distance.

"They were blue." I said. "I looked on the certificate."

"He had your eyes." Parker said.

"Yeah." I smiled, a tear falling from my eye as I sniffled. "I'm sure he would've looked a lot like you."

"Mom said he looked a lot like me when I was a baby." Parker said.

"He would've been a pretty baby." I said before looking up at Parker.

"That's for sure." Parker nodded, a frown forming on his face before he made his face emotionless again.

"Our little angel." I frowned as I looked on the tombstone again. "Fifth one in the past year."

"It's just our year for funerals, huh?" Parker said as he rubbed my arm. "All we can do is move past it."

"Yeah." I sniffled. "Can I go back up to the mine with you? Before the two weeks is up?" I looked up at him.

"What changed your mind?" He asked me.

"You're right. Me sitting in a bedroom all day isn't doing anything. I just need to go back with you. I need to be with you." I told him.