Chapter 72

(((May 14, 2016)))
Nicole's POV

Maybe it's because we're back home with our family for the funeral, and it's also the first time we've all been together since everyone found out I'm pregnant, but I'm kind of nervous, mixed in with the sadness that comes from having to say goodbye to Grandma Erma. Parker and I got in Haines last night, and we automatically went to sleep as soon as we got back in my bed. God, I had missed my soft bed. Hannah and Payson were already asleep in her bed, so we didn't even bother with them. But first thing this morning, I went into Hannah's room and climbed in the bed with them, scooting beside Hannah.

"Get up." I groaned as I shook both of their shoulders.

They both mumbled and grunted.

"Y'all better get up." I ordered. "Y'all can't sleep all day."

"Yes, we can." Hannah groaned as she pulled closer to her boyfriend.

"No, you can't." I said in a sing-song voice as I shook their shoulders again. "I'ma get Dozer and Bear in here to lick you."

Yes, Parker and I carry our dogs with us everywhere. They're our babies.

"Ew." Hannah said bluntly.

"Get up, Hannah." I said. "We gotta get ready and stuff."

"Did you get Parker up?" Hannah said sleepily as she sat up in the bed.

"He's in the shower now." I replied.

"Payson." Hannah grunted as she shook his shoulder. "Get up."

Payson mumbled as he wrapped one arm around Hannah's waist.

I smiled at Hannah, who was smiling down at Payson. They really are meant for each other. Ever since Hannah's been with Payson, you can see that something has changed in her. She's more happy and upbeat, she's more determined, and she's just a better person all around. I wonder if I've changed any since I've been with Parker.

"When did y'all get in last night?" Hannah asked me, a grin still lingering on her face.

"Around two." I answered. "We were asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow."

"I bet." Hannah smirked. "What time is it?"

"Around ten."

"Crap." Hannah said quickly as she started trying to wake up Payson again. "Honey, you need to get up. We gotta be at your mom's house in a little while."

"Just a few minutes." Payson mumbled.

"Everybody up!" Parker said loudly, startling all of us, as he walked in the room. His hair was still wet, and he had on a pair of shorts and a tee shirt.

Even the sleepyhead Payson jumped as he sat up in the bed. He was mumbling cuss words as he ran his fingers through his hair. I couldn't help but laugh at the look that Payson was giving his brother.

"Next time you're sleeping, I'm going to come wake you up." Payson stated as he walked past Parker, walking out of the room.

Parker just laughed as he came to sit beside me on the bed.

"So how does it feel to be a dad?" Hannah smirked. She had obviously been dying to tease him about it.

A smile crept onto Parker's face, and he answered, "I have a feeling that I'm going to like it. But I guess it wasn't really real to me until Dad called me and talked to me. I guess he's trying to put me on the straight and narrow."

"What'd he say?" Hannah asked him.

"Well, he said that I needed to start acting like the man that he knows is in me somewhere..." Parker smirked. "He said that I needed to be more mature, and work like crazy to support these two, and that there'll be no more going out to bars once the baby is born."