Chapter 47

(((February 18, 2016)))
"Yeah, we're going home." I said into the phone as Parker and I were driving down the interstate on the way back to Haines.

"When do you think you'll be here?" Mom asked me from the phone.

"Um, probably about ten hours. So it's um...10:00 now, so it should be around eight or so." I said.

"Okay, honey, I'll save you both some dinner." Mom said.

"Okay, thanks, Mom." I smiled. "So Grandpa and Grandma are doing fine?"

"Yes, they are both in the nursing home recovering. With some luck, and some prayers, they should be getting out in a month." Mom answered.

"I hope they recover soon. I don't like them being in that home. I don't trust it." I said.

"It's the best nursing home in California." Mom said.

"I don't care. I wish they could be in Haines." I pouted.

"I know you do, honey, we all do but-"

"I know, I know. The doctors, and nurses can take care of them better." I said.

"Yes, honey." Mom said. "As soon as they can, they're coming back to Haines."

"I know. I just miss them, a lot. I don't know how I'm going to go months without seeing them when I go to the mine site with Parker." I let out a chuckle.

"You'll be alright." Parker said. "I do it."

"Parker, I didn't ask your opinion." I said to him.

"Well, I gave it." He smirked.

"Shut up, Parker." I smirked.

"Oh, you'll both be fine. Everybody will be fine. Well, I have to get back to work. I'll see you both tonight, okay?" Mom said.

"Alright. Bye, love you, Mom." I said.

"Love you both." Mom said as she hung up the phone.

"You're mean, Parker." I said as I put my phone down.

He smirked. "Why?"

"I don't know why, you just are."

"You love me, though."

"Sometimes." I smirked, knowing that I loved him every minute of the day.

He smirked at me and grabbed my hand to hold it while he drove. He turned his head back to the road.

"Parker?" I said.

"Yeah, babe?"

"What's it like having cameras follow you around everywhere?" I asked.

"Well, it gets on your nerves sometimes. Like, something will go wrong, and you got ten cameramen running after you and asking you questions, and you're just trying to get somewhere." He chuckled as he said, "I've got mad at them a lot. I'll push them away, cuss them because they're in the way. They'll ask me something and I'll roll my eyes and say something blunt and walk away."

"That temper of yours." I smiled.

"Hey, I'm getting better about it."

"Yeah, until you get back on the job."

"Well, hopefully I won't act like that this year. I'm going to try not to."

"Good." I smiled. "I like the sweet Parker, not the mean one."

He chuckled. "Well, sometimes you get the mean one."

"I don't. You're nice to me, or I'll leave."