Chapter 97

(((August 2, 2016)))

I woke up that morning with Parker's arms around me and us both laying on the hospital bed. I did what I've been doing every morning for almost a year now, I ran my fingers through the front of his hair and smiled at him sleeping. That was a mean man right there sometimes, there's no doubt about it. But he was always a sweetheart when it came to me.

Then it hit me again. My baby's gone. I frowned and looked down at my stomach that was covered by Parker's hands. I placed my hand over Parker's and laid back down. I didn't want to face the day yet.

When Parker woke up later on, I was wiping tears from my face with a tissue. He pulled me closer to him and whispered that it was going to be alright. I laid down and turned on my side to face him, wrapping my arms around him. I sniffled and nodded.

"I mean it, baby." Parker said. "It's all going to be alright."

"Why would God take the baby from us, Parker? There's so many people that don't even want babies that can just have them no problem. Why'd He take ours?" I sniffled and felt a tear on my cheek. "We were doing such a good job."

"I don't know why, baby." Parker said as he moved a piece of my hair behind my ear. "Maybe we just aren't ready to be parents right now. Maybe we need a few more years to grow up, get married, get a nice house. Then we'll have another baby, huh?"

"I wanted this baby." I frowned.

"Me too." Parker frowned, and I buried my head in his chest and cried.

A few minutes later, I looked up at Parker. I leaned over, grabbed a tissue, and wiped the tears off his face.

"Don't cry, baby." I said as I tried not to frown.

"Then you don't cry." Parker slightly chuckled.

Once I was finished wiping the tears of mine and his faces, I lightly pressed my lips against his. He returned the kiss eagerly, placing a hand on my cheek.

We were both getting heated when a knock came on the door, causing us both to pull away. He pulled the blanket over us, even though we were both fully clothed. Then he told them to come in.

I saw Mom poking her head in the door before opening it the rest of the way and walking in, followed by Dad.

"Hey, Mom." Parker and I said simultaneously.

Mom smiled and walked over to us, holding her arms out to wrap us both in a hug.

"How're you doing?" Mom said once she let us go.

"As good as can be expected." I smiled a little. "Yesterday was rough."

"I know, honey." Mom said sympathetically before kissing me on the forehead. "You and Parker shouldn't have had to go through this."

Dad came and sat beside Mom in two chairs that they pulled up to the bed.

"I'm sorry, guys." Dad said. "It has to be rough on you two."

"Yeah." I nodded. "It is. I never thought I'd have to experience what it feels like to lose a baby."

Parker held me close and set his chin on my shoulder.

Mom frowned and held my hand.

"Your mom and I were both very upset when Parker told us." Dad said.

"I cried for hours. And he cried too." Mom added.

I frowned. "It's been a horrible two days."

"It has." Parker agreed.