Chapter 79

(((June 9, 2016)))

Parker's POV

Even after talking with Nicole a lot last night about possibly having a doctor on call up here, I still don't 100% know if it's something that we should do. Of course I want Nicole up here and she wants to be up here, but I want to be able to know that the doctor could save the baby if something was to happen. I'm not going to be convinced about it until I actually hear it from a doctor.

But I'm not going to lie, I'm willing to try the whole Yukon doctor thing if it means Nicole can stay up here. Even though it's just one more person I have to deal with.

***

"Baby, what are you doing up?" Nicole sleepily said as she came into the kitchen, using her hands to rub her eyes.

I'll always think she's beautiful. And when she came into the kitchen right then, she was about the most beautiful thing. With my tee shirt on that came about halfway to her knees and her hair falling down from the bun that had been on top of her head. Yawning and stretching as she went towards the coffee pot on the counter. I can't imagine not having her here.

"Ah, I couldn't sleep." I groaned.

"I know what you mean." She said as she poured herself a cup of coffee. "I've been tossing and turning for a few hours. And when I woke up this last time and you weren't there, I figured I might as well get up too. Do you want some coffee?"

"My fifth refill, yeah." I smirked as I held out my cup to her.

She chuckled as she took my cup. "And I thought I was the coffee lover between us."

"Well, I can't drink beer before I go to work." I said.

"You sure can't." She agreed with a little smile on her face. "So, coffee will have to do."

"Thanks, baby." I said as she sat down the cup in front of me along with the cream and sugar.

"You're welcome." She smiled as she sat down in the seat beside of me. "So, I think we both know why we can't sleep."

"Yeah." I nodded as I took a sip of the coffee. "If we're really doing the whole 'doctor up here' thing, I'm going to need to meet him before I agree to anything."

"Of course." Nicole nodded. "I feel the same way. And I think it would be best if the doctor was off the claim. Like maybe he can stay in Dawson or something."

"You read my mind." I smiled. "Because we really don't need another person up here."

"Yeah." Nicole agreed. "I figured that he could maybe help people in Dawson, too, ya know? Because he's only going to be needed here if there's an emergency."

"You can talk to Ed about all that while I'm working." I said.

"Yeah, I guess I can." Nicole smirked. "I know you already have a lot on your plate and I'm just adding to it."

"It's alright, darling." I said as I covered her hand that was on the table with my own. "I'd rather be stressed and have you here than not be stressed and you be gone."

Her blue eyes looked up at me and she smiled. "Hopefully you won't have to be stressed for long."

"You know I'm always stressed." I smirked. "At least with you here I get some stress relief."

Nicole giggled and looked down. "I'm happy to be your stress relief, Parker."

"What can I say?" I smirked. "You're better than any drug out there. But still just as addicting."