Chapter 63

(((April 23, 2016)))
Nicole's POV

It's been three weeks since we came up here to the Yukon for Parker to start mining. I've been super busy. Cooking at least three times a day, more if the men want snacks or desserts. Washing clothes, keeping the building clean, our trailer clean, and being the on-site nurse when someone gets hurt. Despite always having something to do and never having a minute of rest until after the last dish has been washed and I lay down in the bed with Parker, I love being here.

But, unfortunately, on April 8, we got some bad news from home. Grandma Erma died. Parker took it hard, and so did I. He was working when I called him over to me to tell him, and after I had told him with tears streaming down my face, he didn't work anymore that day. He and I drove around for a while before I had to cook dinner, just to air out and talk about it. We went home for a couple days, and we came back up here a few days ago. I'm not going to lie; it was tough on all of us, especially since Grandpa just died. We're going to Grandma's funeral on May 15. Parker and I guessed that since Grandpa and Grandma had been together forever it seemed like, Grandma just couldn't live without Grandpa.

I wake up at 6:00 a.m. every day, along with Parker. I cook breakfast, and everyone eats. Then I wash dishes and find something to do-usually cleaning related- until it's time for me to do lunch. I'm really lucky if there's enough leftovers from the night before to feed them. After lunch, I wash clothes. Bree washes her and Tyson's clothes before lunch. I wash my clothes, Parker's clothes, and Rick's clothes. I wash Rick's clothes because he asked me if I would. After the clothes are sorted and put into the washing machine, I have a few minutes to sit down. Sit down and do the books and make calls that Parker is too busy to make. The clothes are put into the dryer when they're through washing, and another load is put in. Then it's back to being the secretary. At least I have Bree to talk to, whenever Parker doesn't tell her to drive a rock truck. The clothes are folded and put up, and I clean up our trailer a little. By that time, it's usually time to make dinner.

On a side note, the camera crew has made a bet on who can get me and Parker kissing on camera. The winner gets a bottle of whiskey. Well, Parker has made sure that none of them gets us on camera. It's really funny somethings. Once, we were sitting on the back of his tailgate eating lunch, and Ed comes along with his little camera. He said, "Come on, just one little kiss." Parker answered by doing a weird face which showed the food in his mouth. I laughed and rolled my eyes.

I help with the cleanups, along with Parker. I love it when Parker comes in where I'm at and says with a big grin on his face, "Come help me with the cleanup." So far, we've only had one clean up. We got 126 ounces! Parker said that it was pretty good for a first cleanup. Parker's face when he finds out he did good on the gold count for the week is priceless. It's hard not to love everything about mining, for me personally, especially when I'm with my favorite miner.

Today was our one of our days off, Saturday. Well, it's the guy's day off. I, on the other hand, still had to cook and clean. I didn't have to get up early today, however, because everyone slept in. I decided that we would grill out today for lunch. Parker wanted prime rib, and I decided what to cook with it. Of course, with ten men, there's going to be a few beers. They deserve it, though.

Parker's been talking about how he wishes Tony would lower the royalty. He talked to him about it, but it didn't work out so much. Tony wants Parker to make him more money by mining more, but Parker is not going one ounce over three thousand he said. I don't blame him; I support him fully, but if only Tony would lower the royalty so Parker could work the way he wants to.

***

"Nicole!" Parker yelled from his truck.