Chapter 99

(((August 5, 2016)))
Nicole's POV

We were released yesterday, and we made it back home to Haines. It was hard going home without the baby, but we decided for the burial to be tomorrow. It's just going to be the six of us going to the graveyard.

Parker and I are both on edge, snapping at each other over every little thing. We're both upset about the baby, and he's mad that I'm not going back up to the mine the day after tomorrow. This whole thing is really taking a toll on us.

But I've been doing better. I try not to think about it; Mom and Hannah put up all the baby related things in a box for when I might get pregnant again. But I hope that won't be for a long time. I had to tell Kayleigh why she couldn't come up here, and we were both bawling on the phone. But she understood, and Parker and I are just going to go down there after the season ends. The worst thing about it is people calling and texting telling me they're sorry. I know they all mean well, but it just makes me cry again.

But one thing I did keep out was the blanket that they wrapped my baby in at the hospital. I like to hold it while I'm sitting on the bed by myself.

And Parker, well, he's dealing with it the way he dealt with Grandpa and Grandma's death. He keeps busy, or tries to, anyway. He makes business calls, calls Rick to make sure everything is going alright, and talks about work with Dad and Payson. It's just his way of dealing with it. He did the whole crying thing and talked about it with me, and now he just wants to occupy himself.

"Nick, come on." Hannah said as she plopped on the bed beside me. "Let's go with the guys. They're going to a bonfire."

"Parker's going?" I asked curiously.

"Yeah." Hannah nodded. "He didn't tell you?"

"No." I said flatly before going back to my new level of Candy Crush.

"Well, he was probably going to tell you." Hannah added. "Anyway, come on. What is sitting in that bed doing for you?"

"I'm mourning. And the doctor said I didn't need to do anything for two weeks."

"Anything strenuous." Hannah corrected. "I doubt a bonfire will be very strenuous. And it'll be good for all four of us."

"I'm just supposed to act like nothing's wrong and go and act like I'm having a good time?"

"Fake it till you make it. You know what Parker and Payson says. Just letting it fester isn't good for us. We need to try to get past it." Hannah explained.

"I am trying, Hannah. It's been two days." I said. "Sorry if I'm not over it by now."

"Nick, you know that's not what I meant." Hannah said. "I love you, and I can't stand to see you like this. It's worse than when you and Parker were arguing. I don't know, that was pretty bad." Hannah smirked.

I smirked. "I don't look that bad, do I?"

"It's pretty bad, honey." Hannah smirked, nodding. "Your hairs all messed up, you need a shower. You look really rough."

"I know." I sighed. "Maybe that's why Parker don't wanna be in here with me."

"Please come with us, Nick." Hannah smiled. "Just one night."

"Alright." I smirked as I went to get off the bed. "I'll go."

"Yay! Let's get ready!" Hannah said excitedly.

***

"Don't let me forget to take my birth control pill in the morning." I said to Hannah as we were putting our phones in our purses.