Chapter 9

Nicole's POV
I walk into Hannah's room and see Kayleigh sitting on the bed with her phone. Her blonde hair is in her face. I sit down beside her and see that her face is tear stained. Her blue eyes look up at me as I sit on the bed. She wraps me in a hug and starts crying. I feel tears welling up in my eyes and a frown coming on my face.

"Shhh. Don't cry. It's alright." I say as I think about how Parker was saying that to me not long before.

"Mama and Daddy are dead. It's not alright!" She cries.

It's all I can do not to cry. "I know, honey, I know. But hey," I said as I lifted her chin up, "crying is not going to do anything about it. All it's going to do is get you sick."

"Why aren't you crying too?" She said between her sobs.

"I don't want to cry anymore. I'll miss and love them forever, but I don't want to lock myself in a room and cry. I've cried pretty much for the past day. I wouldn't even eat. And then today I tried to avoid coming over here because I knew I would cry." I let out a little sob and a tear.

"Is that why you're just now getting here?" She said, trying to stop crying.

"Yeah. I watched TV and went out to eat with Parker. I wanted to avoid it, but avoiding it isn't going to make it go away. Nothing is going to change what happened. The only thing we can do is try to move on while still loving them."

"I can't move on. Without them, I have nothing. I want them back!" She started crying again, which made me cry.

"I know. I do too. Just try to be happy."

"How can you be happy when they're gone?"

"Well, Parker made me feel better. He would hold me until I would stop crying. He's helped me a lot. I just try not to think about it and focus on the good things."

"Well, I don't have a Parker to make me feel better."

"I know, but you have family and friends. Hey, if you want, you can move up there to Haines with me and Parker. You would like it there."

"Thanks, but all my friends are here."

"You would make new friends, and it would be fun. You would love his family, especially his grandparents. I know I do. They're nice, and they would take you in just like they did me."

"I'm sure I would love them, but I don't think that I want to move."

"Well, who are you going to live with? You can't live by yourself, and I'm going back to Haines with Parker after this is all over."

"I don't know, I'll figure it out."

"I'll ask if someone will take you in, but I would really like it if you would come live with me. I have an extra room."

"I know, but I want to stay here. I don't think Alaska is for me."

"Well, if you ever change your mind, you can come."

"Thanks, Nick. I feel better now that you're here."

"The other kids are playing outside. Do you wanna go play? The fresh air will make you feel a lot better."

"Sure. I'll change, and I'll be right out."

"Okay, I'm going back into the living room." I said as I gave her a hug and a kiss.