Chapter 61

(((April 2, 2015)))
Nicole's POV
I would be lying if I said that it's gotten easier since Grandpa died. In some ways, it's gotten a little bit better. We don't cry as much, but I'll find myself thinking about Grandpa, or see a picture of him, and tears will come to my eyes. Parker is about the same as he's been, but he tries not to think about it a lot.

We came back home about two weeks ago, and Grandma came with us. She's staying with Mom and Dad. Grandma is still the same as she was, most of the time very distant, but we try to cheer her up. But, honestly, I can't blame her. I've only been with Parker for a little while, but I have no idea what I would do without him. I can't imagine what it's like losing your best friend and husband of sixty five years.

The funeral is today, and it's been two weeks since Grandpa died. Arrangements had to be made, people had to be called. A lot of people from out of state are coming to bid Grandpa goodbye. The funeral is being held today at Harriet Hall, with music, food, and people giving eulogies about Grandpa John. A few cameramen are going to be there, filming something to add to the show. We're having the kind of funeral that Grandpa would want to have, a celebration of his life.

Parker told me last night that he wasn't particularly looking forward to today. He knew that he would be crying like a baby, probably. Nevertheless, he knows he needs to go. I told him that I'm going to be there for him, and that made him feel a little bit better. Parker wrote a little eulogy for Grandpa John, and honestly, I cried like a baby when I read it. You can't fake the kind of bond that Parker and his grandpa had, and I loved seeing the relationship that they had.

I had brought my dress to Mom last night so she could get the wrinkles out of it while she did Parker and Payson's outfits. Parker and I slept in his room last night; we just didn't see the point in going back to my house when we would just have to come back here first thing this morning. We're going to the graveyard at Jones Point before the service at Harriet Hall, and a few people are going to be at the house with us getting ready to go.

Parker and I woke up to Mom shaking our shoulders and telling us that it was time to get up and start getting ready. It was only 8:00, but people would probably start getting to the house soon. Mom woke us up one time, but we fell back asleep. Mom woke us up a second time when she brought us our clothes that had been washed and ironed. That time, she stayed in there until we got up off the bed.

I went to the bathroom, and Parker sat in the bed. I came back, and he went out of the room, going to the bathroom to take a shower. I had gotten a shower last night, so I just started getting ready. I was brushing my hair when Parker came back in the room with a towel wrapped around his waist. He shut and locked the door behind him before he started getting ready.

"Are any people here yet?" I asked him.

He smirked. "I don't know. I just ran from the bathroom here. I wasn't paying attention."

"Your phone beeped a few minutes ago." I said as I put in my earrings.

"Of course it did." He said.

I finished my makeup while Parker put on his clothes. I brushed his hair while he checked the messages on his phone.

"Rick's going to be here in about two hours. He just got to Juneau. Chris is going on the same ferry." Parker told me.

"Good." I said.

"Ed said that he would be here in about ten minutes with the camera crew and stuff." Parker said.

"The producer, right?" I asked.

"Yeah. He'll love you." Parker said. "Everyone is going to love you, actually."