Chapter 51

(((February 22, 2016)))
Nicole's POV
"Happy birthday, Mama." I sniffled as I stared at the picture of me and her on my phone.

I was sitting up in my bed, and Kayleigh was beside me asleep. Hannah was across the hall asleep in her room, and Parker slept on the couch. Today was my mom's birthday, and I was really missing her right now. I stared at the picture of me and her, remembering how she looked, talked, the way she laughed, the smell of her perfume, her smile and voice when she was happy. I closed the photos and opened the contacts. I pressed on the contact that said "Mommy", which showed her number. I wanted so bad to press the button to call her. Nothing helps on days like this, and I quietly sniffled as tears ran down my face.

It was around 10:30, and I decided that I didn't want to cry anymore, after crying for a good hour. I gently got out of bed and went into the living room for a second to let the dogs outside before going to the bathroom. A few minutes later, I walked out of the bathroom and went into the kitchen to make some coffee. I guess Parker heard me walking around, and he woke up and walked over to me and gave me a hug. I really needed that hug right then.

Instead of just continuing on doing what I'm doing like I normally do, I turned around to face him and gave him a hug. I wrapped my arms around his waist and buried my head in his shirtless chest. He warmly wrapped his arms back around me and kissed my head. My mama used to kiss my head, and my dad did, too. I felt a tear roll down my cheek and I sniffled. I raised my head up and used one of my fingers to wipe the tear from my eye.

"Is something wrong, honey?" Parker asked.

"No, I'm fine." I faked a smile.

"Nicole." Parker said sternly.

"Okay, today is my mama's birthday, and I'm sad. It's really hard not to cry today." I said as I was on the verge of crying.

"I had forgotten that your mom's birthday was a couple days before Kayleigh's." Parker said as he ran his fingers up and down my back.

"I've been trying not to think about it." I admitted.

"Baby, today's going to be a good day, okay? We're going to have fun together. You know that your mom wouldn't want you to spend the day crying." Parker said.

"I know, but it's just so hard. I almost called her phone today, hoping that it was all a dream and she would answer. I know it's crazy, but I still sometimes believe that Mama and Daddy are at home in North Carolina." I said.

"They're always with you. You're never without them." Parker said before he lifted up my tear-stained face. "And I'm always here for you."

"I know." I smiled slightly.

"Don't cry, baby. You know that if Kayleigh sees you crying, she's going to cry."

"I know." I said as I wiped my face with the sleeve of my hoodie. "I'm fine."
***
"Okay, guys!" Hannah smiled as she turned around and set the bacon that we had cooked on the bar. "Time for breakfast!"

"More like brunch." I laughed as I carried the pancakes to the table.

"Well, if you guys would have gotten here earlier, you might be eating earlier." Mom smiled as she finished cooking the eggs.

"I know one thing. I'm about to starve." Parker said as he walked to the table.

"Oh, hush." I smiled as I kissed his cheek before he sat down. "You've been stealing bacon for ten minutes."

"Him and Kayleigh." Hannah added.

"Well, we made enough, girls." Mom smiled.

We all sat down at the table, Parker said grace, and we started eating and conversing. Dad had already eaten earlier, and he was gone to work until around six. On the rectangular table , it was just me, Parker beside me to the left, Hannah beside me to the right, Kayleigh was in front of Hannah, and Mom was in front of me and beside Parker.