Chapter 44

(((February 12, 2016.)))
Parker's POV
Yesterday was Grandpa's 96th birthday. But, since his birthday fell on a Thursday, we decided that we would have his party today, Friday. Of course, we still made a big deal out of his birthday, the five of us did. We brought him some cupcakes and balloons, and said happy birthday. We spent the day with Grandpa and Grandma.

Nicole and I are fine now, after the little episode the other day. We went out for dinner and a movie on Wednesday for our three month anniversary. We both get jealous, but it's better to get jealous and be afraid of losing someone than to just not care at all what the other person does. I know that I can't live without Nicole; I lived without her for the longest time, and now that I have her, there is no way that I'm letting her go. I love that girl so much. Disagreements and arguments are a part of every relationship, but what matters is that you work through them.

Anyway, today is Grandpa's party. Mom, Dad, and a few other family members are coming down to the hospital for the party. I really hate that we have to do it in the hospital, but at least we're doing it. It's a family tradition to have Grandpa's party. Of course, this year it won't be as big as in years past, but family is here. Grandpa says family and love are the most important things in life, and he has both.

"Mom, we have to go get Grandpa's present." I said to Mom while she, Nicole, and I were out in the hall, walking to the drink machine.

Mom looked at us like she couldn't believe that we hadn't gotten a present yet. "Well, you better go get one. The party starts at five."

"What time is it now?" I said as I took my phone out of my pocket. "Three."

"We better get going then." Nicole said.

"Yeah, kids, you better if you want to make it back before five." Mom said.

"You got everything under control here?" I asked Mom.

"Yes, son. You two go." Mom smiled.

"Okay, Mom. See ya later." I said as I gave her a side hug.

"Bye, son." Mom smiled as she gave me a peck on the cheek. "Love you. Drive safe."

"Love you too, Mom." I said.

"Bye, honey." Mom smiled again as she gave Nicole a hug and a peck on the cheek. "Love you too."

"Love you, Mom." Nicole smiled.

Nicole and I walked out of the hospital, holding hands, and started riding down the road.

"Mom really thought that we hadn't gotten his present yet." Nicole chuckled as we were riding down the road to the Fedex place.

I chuckled. "I know. We ordered it more than a week ago."

"We still have to get him a card, though."

"Yeah, we'll go by Target or Walmart or something."

"You think he'll like the present?"

"Of course." I smiled.
***
We were back to the hospital at 4:45; we had looked around for a little bit while we were getting Grandpa's card, well, Nicole wanted to. The present had already came all wrapped up and we put a little tag on it. Nicole was nervous about it, because she couldn't look in it and see what it looked like. I told her that it would be fine, but I could tell that she was dying to look at it. We bought him a card, and wrote in it, both of us.
Everyone, including a few cameramen, but Grandpa, Grandma, and Dad were in the other room where they were doing the party in when we got back.

Payson, Hannah, Nicole, and I went into Grandpa's room while the others, including Dad, were getting everything ready. We talked, and Grandma helped Grandpa into a nice shirt and tie. Hannah and Nicole walked with Grandma out while Payson and I wheeled Grandpa in his bed.