Asylum Pt. 1

Shelby

Dean is sitting in a chair at the motel in our room while Sam is sitting on the bed talking to someone on the phone. Me, I'm doing what I do best, cleaning my gun. “No, Dad was in California last we heard from him. We just thought he comes to you for munitions maybe you've seen him in the last few weeks. Just, call us if you hear anything, thanks” Sam says before hanging up. “Caleb hasn't heard from him” Dean asked “nope, and neither has Jefferson or Pastor Jim. What about the journal, anything leads in there” Sam asked?

“No, same as last time I looked. Nothing I can make out; I love the guy, but I swear, he writes like frigging Yoda” Dean said and I smiled. “You know, maybe we should call the Feds. File a missing person’s” Sam said. “We've talked about this” I said and Sam looked at me “Dad'd be pissed if we put the Feds on his tail” I said. “I don't care anymore” Sam says and Dean's cellphone rings, making Dean stand up and look for it. “After all that happened back in Kansas, I mean he should've been there. You said so yourself. You tried to call him and nothing” Sam said.

“I know” Dean said and rummages through his duffel “where the hell is my cellphone” he says. “You know, he could be dead for all we know” Sam said, making Dean and I look at him. “Don't say that” Dean says “he's not dead! He's, he's” Dean starts but can't finish it “he's what, he's hiding, he's busy”? “Dean” I say and he looks at me as I point to his jacket and he walks over to it, finding his cellphone in the pocket of it. He flips open the phone and looks at it.

“Huh, I don't believe it” Dean says with a smile “what” Sam asks as I look up at him. “It's, it's a text message, it's coordinates” Dean said and I quickly get out of bed “dad” I ask as Dean starts to type on the laptop. “Maybe, he's given us coordinates before” Dean said “the man can barely work a toaster, Dean” Sam said as he stands and Dean sits at the table on the laptop. “Sam, it's good news, it means he's okay, or alive at least” Dean said.

“Well, was there a number on the caller ID” Sam asked “nah, it said 'unknown'” Dean said. “Where do the coordinates point” I ask “that's the interesting part. Rockford, Illinois” Dean says and Sam and I look at him confused “okay, and that's interesting how” Sam asked? “I checked the local Rockford paper, take a look at this” Dean says and moves the laptop for Sam and I.

“This cop, Walter Kelly, comes home from his shift, shoots his wife, then puts the gun in his mouth, blows his brains out. And earlier that night, Kelly and his partner responded to a call at the Roosevelt Asylum” Dean says. “Okay, I'm not following, what has this have to do with us” Sam asked? “Wait, did dad mark the same asylum in his journal” I ask and Dean nods as he takes the journal to look at it. “Yup, here” he says and shows us the page. “Seven unconfirmed sightings, two deaths, till last week at least. I think this is where he wants us to go” Dean said and I nod, already starting to pack.

Sam snorts “this is a job, Dad wants us to work a job” Sam says “well, maybe we'll meet up with him? Maybe he's there” Dean said “maybe he's not? I mean, he could be sending us there, by ourselves, to hunt this thing” Sam said. “Sam, you act like we've never hunted things before” I said “and besides who cares! If he wants us there, it's good enough for me” Dean says kind of mad. “This doesn't strike you as weird, the texting, the coordinates” Sam asked?

“Sam, Dad's telling us to go somewhere, we're going” Dean says and starts to pack as Sam sighs and makes a bitch face. After packing we get in the car and drive off, heading to a bar. A cop sits at a bar and Dean walks over to him as I stand next to Sam, away from the cop but able to see and hear them. “You're Daniel Gunderson, you're a cop, right” Dean asks? “Yeah” Gunderson says “I'm uh, Nigel Tufnel, The Chicago Tribune. Mind if I ask you a couple of questions, about your partner” Dean asks? “Yeah, I do, I'm just trying to have a beer here” Gunderson says.