Dead Man's Blood Pt. 3

Shelby

Dean and I returned Dad and Sam where laughing. "Whew. Man, some heavy security to protect a bunch of dead guys" Dean said. "Got it" John asked and Dean fumbles in his pocket, withdrawing a paper bag and from that a bottle full of something red. He hands it to John. "You know what to do" John said to us and we all nodded.

Dean was talking to the vampire Kate, tricking her. The vampires instantly recognized him and were choking him; an arrow pierces a vampire. Another hits Kate in the stomach. Kate looks down at the point sticking out of her chest "dammit" she curses. John, Sam and I emerge from the trees, Dad and I carrying crossbows while Sam carries some weapons.

"It barely even stings" Kate says "give it time sweetheart. That arrow's soaked in dead man's blood. It's like poison to you isn't it" John asks with a smile. Kate looks shocked, then wavers and loses consciousness. "Load her up" John says and gestures to the other vampire "I'll take care of this one". John approaches the other vamp who is sitting groggily on the ground. Raising his machete, he brings it down and cuts his head off.

We head into the woods and make a huge fire. John hands Dean a bag and they move from the Impala's trunk back toward the fire where Sam and I are patrolling with a machete. "Toss this on the fire. Saffron, skunk's cabbage and trillium. It'll block our scent and hers, until we're ready" John says.

Dean sniffs it and coughs "stuff stinks" Dean says. "That's the idea. Dust your clothes with the ashes, and you stand a chance of not being detected" John says. "You sure they'll come after her" Sam asks? "Yeah. Vampires mate for life. She means more to the leader than the gun. But the blood sickness is going to wear off soon, so you don't have a lot of time" John says.

"A half hour oughta do it" I say "and then I want you out of the area as fast as you can" John says to us. "But" Sam starts "well, Dad you can't take care of them all yourself" Dean quickly says. "I'll have her, and the Colt" John says "but after. We're gonna meet up, right? Use the gun together. Right" I asked? There is a long pause. "You're leaving again ,aren't you. You still wanna go after the demon alone. You know, I don't get you. You can't treat us like this" Sam says mad.

"Like what" Dad asks? "Like children" Sam says "you are my children. I'm trying to keep you safe" John says. "Dad, all due respect but, uh, that's a bunch of crap" Dean says, making us look at him shock. "Excuse me" John asks "you know what Sammy, Shelby, and I have been hunting. Hell you sent us on a few hunting trips yourself. You can't be that worried about keeping us safe" Dean said.

"It's not the same thing, Dean" Dad says "then what is it? Why do you want us out of the big fight" I asked? "This demon, it's a bad son of a bitch. I can't make the same moves if I'm worried about keeping you alive" Dad said. "You mean you can't be as reckless" Dean says. "Look, I don't expect to make it out of this fight in one piece. Your mother's death, it almost killed me. And Shelby, when you were taken I almost did die. I can't watch my children die too. I won't" Dad said.

"What happens if you die? Dad, what happens if you die, and we coulda done something about it? You know I been thinking. I think maybe Sammy's right about this one. We should do this together" Dean said a bit mad. "We're stronger as a family, Dad. We just are. You know it" I said. "We're running out of time. You do your job and you get out of the area. That's an order" John said to us and Dean, Sam, and I look sad.

John looks at me "after this is over, you tell them. Everything" John says to me "dad" I started "do it. Or I'll make sure you do" Dad said to me and Dean and Sam look between us confused before I nod. "Yes sir" I say.

Dean, Sam, and I head to the nest and see a vampire swigs from a bottle. Looking up, he moves to stand in front of the barn doors, considers them a moment, then shrugs and takes another swig. He turns to find Dean behind him "boo" he says and swings his machete, then makes his way back to the locked container of people. "I told you I'd come back" Dean said.

Dean and I begin to break the hinges before starting to kill the rest of the vamps. When it's finished we look around for dad and find him, holding a knife to Kate. Kate swings around, knocking Dad back against his truck. He drops the gun. Luther approaches, backhanding John back against his open car door, shattering the glass before he lands unconscious on the ground. Luther approaches again.

An arrow pierces one of the vamps and Sam, Dean, and I run out of the trees, Dean pauses to line up and shoot another vamp with his crossbow. Sam grabs his machete and cuts off a vamp's head. I make a move towards Luther who backhands him. "Well, well, well, if it's isn't the one who got away" he says and grabs me. Dean and Sam turn around to help but Luther has his arm around my throat.

"Don't, I'll break her neck. Put the blade down" Luther says. For a moment Dean and Sam do nothing. Luther tightens his hold on my neck, cutting off my air supply completely. Dean and Sam drop their machetes. "You people. Why can't you leave us alone. We have as much right to live as you do" Luther says.

"I don't think so" John says behind us and Luther turns. John raises the colt and shoots him between the eyes. Luther lets me go and I stumble away, gasping as Dean and Sam pull behind them. A sigil appears where the bullet hit Luther and he stumbles. A brief flash of light reflects his skeleton, before he falls to his knees.

Kate cried out Luther's name in horror as she watches. Another flash of light passes through Luther and he slumps to the ground dead. Kate starts towards John but another vampires stops her and they get in their car and drive off. John smiles in satisfaction before we head back to the motel.

Dean, Sam, and I clean up before packing out bags. Dad enters and looks at us "so kids" he says and we look at him. "You ignored a direct order back there" "yes sir" Sam says. "Yeah but we saved your ass" Dean says and Sam and I look sideways at Dean, nervously. John looks steadily at Dean. Dean swallows. "You're right" John says "I am" Dean asked?

"It scares the hell out of me. You three are all I've got. But I guess we are stronger as a family. So, we go after this damn thing, together, but in this family there are no secrets" Dad said and looked at me. "Okay what is going on" Dean asked wanting to know, sounding irritated.

I look at dad "please don't make me do this" I almost beg. "Shelby" Sam asks and I sigh. I look at Sam and Dean "I have to tell you both something, something that you won't like" I said nervous and Dean and Sam look at me confused.

I will be drifting away from the show for a couple of chapters because I have an idea that I really want to put into place so I hope you guys like.