Phantom Traveler Pt. 2

Dean

We pull up to a house “so here we are, George Phelps, seat 20C” Sam says “man, I don't care how strong you are” I start and we get out of the car. “Even yoked up on PCP or something, no way you can open up an emergency door during a flight” I finished. “Not if you're human, but maybe this guy George was something else, some kind of creature, maybe, in human form” Sam said. “Does that look like a creature's lair to you” Shelby asked, making Sam look at the perfectly ordinary house.

We walk inside and sit across Mrs. Phelps; Sam picks up a pitcher in a frame “this is your late husband” Sam asks. “Yes, that was my George” “and you said he was a...dentist” I asked “mm-hm, he was headed to a convention in Denver. Do you know that he was petrified to fly? For him to go like that” Mrs. Phelps said “how long were you married” Shelby asked?

“Thirteen years” “in all that time, did you ever notice anything strange about him, anything out of the ordinary” Sam asks. “Well... uh, he had acid reflux, if that's what you mean” Mrs. Phelps. We all look at each other. Sam, Shelby and I walk outside and down the stairs. “I mean it goes without saying, it just doesn't make any sense” Sam said “a middle-aged dentist with an ulcer is not exactly evil personified. You know what we need to do is get inside that NTSB warehouse, check out the wreckage” I said.

“Okay, but if we're gonna go that route, we'd better look the part” Sam said “fine by me, but I am not wearing a dress” Shelby said. Sam and I exit a store wearing crisp black suits with white shirts, Sam adjusts his collar. “Man, I look like one of the Blues Brothers” I said “no you don't. You look more like a...seventh-grader at his first dance” Shelby said coming out of a store next door wearing black paints, a white top, and a nice black jacket.

I roll my eyes at her and look down at myself “I hate this thing” I said and get into the Impala with Sam already sitting shotgun and Shelby in the back. We enter the warehouse and show out badges to the security guard who nods and lets us in. We walk among plane wreckage and I pull out a device and puts earbuds in my ears. “What is that” Sam asks me “it's an EMF meter. Reads electromagnetic frequencies” Shelby said “yeah, I know what an EMF meter is, but why does that one look like a busted-up walkman” Sam asks?

“'Cause that's what I made it out of, it's homemade” I say with a grin “yeah, I can see that” Sam said, making my grin disappear. I run the EMF meter over a piece of the wreckage with yellow dust on it and gets an audible spike. “Check out the emergency door handle” Dean said and Shelby scratches at the yellow dust and gets some on her hand. “What is this stuff” I ask “one way to find out” Sam said and scrapes some of the yellow dust off into a bag.

All of a sudden we hear some agents and guards coming, busted. We peer around a corner and walk out casually. An alarm blares, and we run to the gated exit. I pull off my suit jacket and throw it over the barbed wire at the top of the fence, and Sam climbs over. “Really” Shelby say's seeing how tall it is. “Come on” I say to her and she looks at me like I'm crazy. I sigh “come on” I said and help her up and over the fence, jumping over it. I grab the jacket “well, these monkey suits do come in handy” I say and run off with Sam and Shelby to fallow.

We head over to Jerry's office to have him look at the yellow stuff. He looks through a microscope; what the microscope sees is replicated on a screen. “Huh, this stuff is covered in sulfur” Jerry says “you're sure” Sam asks “take a look for yourself” Sam goes to take a look when there's banging sounds from outside the office. “If you fellows will excuse me, I have an idiot to fire” Jerry leaves the room.