Dead Man's Blood Pt. 1

Shelby

Dean, Sam, and I sat in a café. Dean is flipping through a newspaper, Sam on his laptop, and me eating a delouse donate. Dean folds the paper as he says "well, not a decent lead in all of Nebraska. What've you got"? "Well, I've been scanning Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota. Here. A woman in Iowa fell 10,000 feet from an airplane and survived" Sam said.

"Sounds more like 'That's Incredible' than, 'Twilight Zone'" I said and Dean and Sam both smiled "yeah" Sam said. "Hey you know we could just keep heading east. New York. Upstate. We could drop by and see Sarah again" Dean said "yeah, I dunno, maybe someday. But in the meantime we got a lot of work to do Dean, and you know that" Sam said.

My phone went off in my pocket and I check it to see it was Trevor. "Yeah all right. What else you got" Dean asked as I closed my phone, not answering him. "Ahh, man in Colorado, local man named Daniel Elkins, was found mauled in his home" Dean said. "Elkins, I know that name" I say and took dad's journal before flipping through it. "Doesn't ring a bell" Sam said.

I repeat the name under my breath as I look in the journal "sounds like the police don't know what to think. At first they said it was some sort of bear attack and now, they've found some signs of robbery" Sam said and I nod. "There, check it out" I said handing the journal over to Dean and Sam. "You think it's the same Elkins" Sam asked "it's a Colorado area code" I said.

Good job, I knew we kept you around for some reason" Dean said and I playfully hit him. We get in the car and start to drive to Elkin's cabin, by the time we get there its night.

The dooropens slowly and Sam puts away his lock pick. Dean starts to look around a mess on the table while Sam stops in the doorway, and I look around the room, shinning my flashlight around. "Looks like the maid didn't come today" Dean joked as he looked at the mess. "Hey, there's salt over here. Right beside the door" Sam said rubbing the salt in his fingers.

Dean finds Elkin's journal and flicks threw it "you mean protection against demon salt, or 'oops I spilled the popcorn' salt" Dean asked? "It's clearly a ring. You think this guy Elkins was a player" Sam asked "definitely" Dean said. Sam and I walked up to Dean to see the journal "that looks a hell of a lot like Dad's" Sam said. "Yep, except this dates back to the 60s" I said looking at it.

We move into the other room and shine out flashlights around the destruction, including up at the hole in the roof. "Whatever attacked him, it looks like there was more than one" Sam said. "Looks like he put up a hell of a fight too" I said "yeah" Dean nodded. We look around and I crouch down to look at the floor.

"You got something" Sam asked me "I dunno. Some scratches on the floor" I said "death throes maybe" Sam asked. "Maybe" I said and grab a page from a notebook, place it over the marks, and rubs a pencil lead over it to get an outline. "Or maybe a message" I said and peel up the paper, which has a lot of blood on the back, and rubbings of characters. "Look familiar" I say and hand the paper to Sam and Dean.

"Three letters, six digits. The location and combination of a post office box. It's a mail drop" Sam said "just the way Dad does it" Dean said and I nod. We head to the post office and Dean opens the post office box. He removes a letter, stares, and shows it to us. We look at each other, confused.

"'J.W.' You think? John Winchester" Sam asks as Dean, Sam, and I sit in the impala and on the envelope is J.W. "I don't know, should we open it" Dean asked and suddenly there is a knock on Dean's window. Dean gasps, rears back, automatically raising his arm, fist clenched. Sam and I quickly turn to see dad. When John sees he has shocked us he smiles.

"Dad" Dean asked and John gets in the backseat with me, instantly tensing up as he does so, causing me to move over. "Dad, what are you doing here? Are you all right" Sam asked "yeah, I'm ok. I read the news about Daniel, I got here as fast as I could. I saw you three at his place" dad said looking at Dean, Sam, and I. "Why didn't you come in Dad" Sam asked softly. "You know why. Because I had to make sure you weren't followed, by anyone or anything. Nice job of covering your tracks by the way".