Scarcrow Pt.1

Sam

I hear a cell phone ring in my sleep “Dean” I say but Dean doesn't move. I frown and sit up to see Dean sound asleep with Shelby also sound asleep in bed right next to him. I grab Dean's phone from the end table and check the number, then flip it open. “Hello” I say into the phone “Sam, is that you” I hear my dad say and sit up in bed. “Dad, are you hurt” I quick ask? “I’m fine” John says “we’ve been looking for you everywhere. We didn’t know where you were, if you were okay” Sam says.

“Sammy, I’m all right. What about you and Dean” dad asks? Dean starts to wake up “we’re fine, we found Shelby” I say “I know, I got Dean's message” he says. “Dad, where are you” I ask and Dean sits up, hearing now that it's dad “Shelby, Shelby get up” Dean says and shakes her, making her quick sit up, pulling out a gun and aiming, making Dean jump but make her lower her gun. “Dean, what is it” Shelby asks, rubbing her eyes “it's dad” Dean says and Shelby clues in.

“Sorry, kiddo, I can’t tell you that” dad says threw the phone “what, why not” I ask? “Is that Dad” Dean asks “look, I know this is hard for you to understand. You’re just gonna have to trust me on this” John says. “You’re after it, aren’t you? The thing that killed Mom” I asked quick “yeah, it’s a demon, Sam” John says “a demon? You know for sure” Sam asks “A demon” Dean says “what’s he saying” Shelby asked?

“I do, listen, Sammy, I, uh, I also know what happened to your girlfriend. I’m so sorry. I would’ve done anything to protect you from that” John says to me. “You know where it is” I ask? “Yeah, I think I’m finally closing in on it” John says “let us help” I say threw the phone. “You can’t, you can’t be any part of it” he says “why not” I quick ask confused. “Give me the phone” Dean says and reaches for the phone “listen, Sammy, that’s why I’m calling. You, your brother, and Shelby, you gotta stop looking for me. Alright, now, I need you to write down these names” he says.

“Names, what names, Dad, ttalk to me, tell me what’s going on” I say quickly threw the phone even more confused, “Look, we don’t have time for this. This is bigger than you think, they’re everywhere. Even us talking right now, it’s not safe” John says “no, Alright, no way” I say mad. “Give me the phone” Dean says again. “I have given you an order. Now, you stop following me, and you do your job. You understand me? Now, take down these names” John says mad, making me mad. Dean grabs the phone from me.

“Dad, it’s me, where are you” Dean listens “yes, sir” he says and look around “uh, yeah, I got a pen. What are their names” Dean asks “I want to talk to him” Shelby says as Dean writes down some names. Shelby takes the phone from Dean as he finishes writing down the names. “Dad” Shelby says with a soft smile that soon fades. She look down at the phone “he hung up” she said and closed the phone, looking upset as she looked down.

Shelby

We pack our things before getting in the car and driving off. “Alright, so, the names Dad gave us, they’re all couples” Sam asks while driving and I'm sitting in the backseat, leaning my cheek against my hand that leaning on the window. “Three different couples, all went missing” Dean says. “And they’re all from different towns, different states” Sam ask? “That’s right, you got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again” Dean says.

“Well, it’s a big country, Dean. They could’ve disappeared anywhere” Sam says “yeah, could’ve. But each one’s route took ‘em to the same part of Indiana. Always on the second week of April. One year after another after another” Dean says “this is the second week of April” Sam says “yep” Dean says. “So, Dad is sending us to Indiana to go hunting for something before another couple vanishes” Sam asked?