Sammy! Pt. 1

Sam

I laid in bed with my girlfriend Jessica as I heard a sound outside of the room, like a window opening. I open my eyes and get up, leaving the bedroom and look around the apartment. A window is open I hear footsteps and quickly move behind a wall, waiting as the man enters the room. I lunge forward and grab the man at the shoulder but he knocks my arm away and aims a strike at me but I quickly duck.

The man grabs mu arm, swings me around, and shoves me in the back knocking me down on the ground and pins me to the floor, one hand at my neck and the other holding my wrist. “Whoa, easy, tiger” the man says and I finally get a glimpse at him “Dean” I asked surprised as Dean laughs “you scared the crap out of me” I say “that's 'cause you're out of practice”. I grab Deans hand and yanks, slamming Dean to the floor “or not” Dean finishes.

“Get off of me” Dean says and I roll of of him, helping him stand up “what the hell are you doing here” “well, I was looking for a beer” Dean says. “Seriously what the hell are you doing here” Sam asked “okay, all right, we gotta talk” “uh, the phone” I say like it was obvious. “Well I thought you ay want to hear the good news in person” Dean says and takes a step to the side reveling a girl with dark brown hair “Shelby” I say with a smile.

I run up to her and hug her “hey Sam” Shelby says to me, hugging me back just as Jessica turns the light on. “Sam” she says confused as we all turn are heads “Jess, hey. Dean, Shelby, this is my girlfriend Jessica” I say. “Wait, your brother Dean, and your sister Shelby. I thought Shelby was” Jess started “guess not” I quickly say as Dean talks to Jess, flirting with her.

“Shelby what are you doing here, how are you here” I asked her with a smile “it's a long story but the main thing is I'm back” she says. Dean walks over to me and Shelby “anyway, I gotta borrow your boyfriend here, talk about some private family business” Dean said “but, uh, nice meeting you” Dean said to Jess.

“No” I walk over to Jess and put an arm around her “no, whatever you want to say, you can say it in front of her”. “Okay, um, dad hasn't been home in a few days” Dean said “so he's working overtime on a Miller Time shift. He'll stumble back in sooner or later” I said “dad's on a hunting trip. And he hasn't been home in a few days” Shelby said putting her hands on her jacket pocket.

“Jess, excuse us, we have to go outside” I say to Jess and go down the stairs with Dean and Shelby. We stop “I mean, come on, you two can't just break in, middle of the night, and expect me to hit the road with you” I said. “Wow, nice to see you too” Shelby said “Shelby it's great to see you, but you, no” I say looking at Shelby then at Dean. “You're not hearing us Sammy, dad's missing, I need you to help me find him” Dean said mad. “You remember the poltergeist in Amherst, or the Devil's Gates in Clifton? He was missing then, too, he's always missing, and he's always fine” I say.

“Not for this long, now are you gonna come with us or not” Dean asks mad “you have Shelby” “but we need you Sam” Shelby says to me. “No” I say “why not” Dean asks confused “I swore I was done hunting, for good”. “Come on, it wasn't easy, but it wasn't that bad” Dean says. “Yes it was Dean, we lost our sister twice hunting, when I told Dad I was scared of the thing in my closet, he gave me a 45” I say.

Well, what was he supposed to do” Dean asks me “I was nine years old, he was supposed to say, don't be afraid of the dark”. “Don't be afraid of the dark, are you kidding me, of course you should be afraid of the dark. You know what's out there” Dean says mad. “Yeah, I know, but still, the way we grew up, after Mom was killed, and Dad's obsession to find the thing that killed her. But we still haven't found the damn thing, so we kill everything we can find.

“We save a lot of people doing it, too, like are sister” Dean says “you think Mom would have wanted this for us” Dean opens the door and heads outside with Shelby and me to fallow. “The weapon training, and melting the silver into bullets? Man, Dean, we were raised like warriors” we walk to Deans car “so what are you gonna do? You're just gonna live some normal, apple pie life, is that it” Dean asks, yelling at me.

“No, not normal, safe like our sister should be doing” I said “hey, this is my life, my choice” Shelby said. “And that's why you ran away” Dean says to me “I thought are sister was dead Dean, I wanted to move on, go to college. It was Dad who said if I was gonna go I should stay gone. And that's what I'm doing” I said. “Yeah, well here is Shelby, alive” Dean points to Shelby. And Dad's in real trouble right now, if he's not dead already. I can feel it” Dean says.

I'm silent “I can't do this alone” “you have Shelby” I say “we need our brother” Shelby says making me look at her. “I need my brother” she says and I sigh looking down at the ground thinking, then up “what was he hunting” I asked. Dean opens the trunk of the Impala, then the spare tire compartment reveling weapons. Dean digs through the clutter “all right, let's see, where the hell did I put that thing”. Shelby moves Dean over and grabs something “so when Dad left, why didn't you and Shelby go with him” I asked.

“Thanks” Dean says as Shelby hands him a folder “I was working my own gig. This, uh, voodoo thing, down in New Orleans, Shelby joined me”. “Dad let you go on a hunting trip by yourself” I asked “not really by myself, Shelby came along”. I rolled my eyes as Dean pulls some papers out of a folder. “All right, here we go, do Dad was checking out this two-lane blacktop just outside of Jericho, California. About a month ago, this guy” Dean hands me a paper.

“They found his car, but he vanished. Completely MIA” Shelby said as I look at the paper. “So maybe he was kidnapped” I said “yeah, well here's another one in April, another one in December 'oh-four, 'oh-three, 'ninety-eight, 'ninety-two, ten of them over the past twenty years” Dean say and takes the article back from me and picks up the rest of the stack, putting them back in the folder.

“All men, all the same five-mile stretch of road” Shelby said as Dean pulls out another bag. “It started happening more and more, so Dad went to go dig around; that was about three weeks ago. I hadn't heard from him since, which is bad enough” Dean said grabbing a hand held tape recorder “then I get this voice mail yesterday”. Dean plays it.

“Dean...something big is starting to happen...I need to try and figure out what's going on. It may... Be very careful, Dean. Protect your sister.....We're all in danger”. Dean stops it “You know there's EVP on that” I say “not bad, Sammy, kinda like riding a bike, isn't it” Dean says with a smile. “Anyway Shelby slowed the message down and ran it through a gold wave, took out the hiss, and this is what we got” Dean said.

“I can never go home” a women says and Dean stops the message again “never go home” I say. Dean drops the recorder, stands straight, and shuts the trunk, then leans on it. “You know, in almost two years I've never bothered you, never asked you for a thing” I sigh. “Are sister is back, that should convince you to come” Dean finished. I look away and sigh, then looks back “all right, I'll go, I'll help you find him”.

Dean nods and Shelby smiles “but I have to get back first thing Monday, just wait here” I say and turns to go back to the apartment but stop when I hear Shelby's voice “why, you got a date or something” I smiled “no, an interview”. “What, a job interview, skip it” Dean says.

“It's a law school interview, and it's my whole future on a plate” “Law school” Dean says surprised but smirks. “So we got a deal or not” I ask and Shelby nods her head. I head inside the apartment to pack.

Shelby

“You think he'll be able to stay away” I asked Dean folding my arms as I lean on the car “no, you” “nope” I say shaking my head.