Bugs Pt. 1

Shelby

Dean, Sam, and I are in Oklahoma at a bar. Sam is reading a newspaper article about a kid named Dustin while I'm sitting on the car and finishing eating a hot dog. A minute later, Dean comes outside, laughing and waving a wad of cash in the air. “You know, we could get day jobs once in a while” Sam says. “Hunting's our day job” I say “yeah, and the pay is crap” Dean said. “Yeah, but hustling pool, credit card scams? It's not the most honest thing in the world, Dean” Sam said.

“Well, let's see honest” Dean holds out one hand “fun and easy” he holds out the other, and gestures that "fun and easy" outweighs "honest". “It's no contest, besides, we're good at it. It's what we were raised to do” Dean said “yeah, well, how we were raised was jacked” Sam said. “Speak for yourself” I say and wipe my hands off “we got a new gig or what” Dean asks, changing the subject.

“Maybe, Oasis Plains, Oklahoma, not far from here. A gas company employee, Dustin Burwash, supposedly died from Creutzfeldt-Jakob” Sam red “huh” Dean asks? Sam is about to speak when I talk behind him. “Human mad cow disease” I say, making Sam and Dean turn and look at me confused that I knew this. “What, this is what happens when I'm alone” I said. Dean shakes his head, putting what I said aside “so mad cow. Wasn't that on Oprah” Dean asked “you watch Oprah” Sam asks? Dean looks embarrassed, can't think of anything to say.

Dean changes the topic “so this guy eats a bad burger. Why is it our kind of thing” Dean asks? “Mad cow disease causes massive brain degeneration. It takes months, even years, for the damage to appear. But this guy, Dustin? Sounds like his brain disintegrated in about an hour. Maybe less” Sam said. “Okay, that's weird” Dean said “no kidding” I say. “Now, it could be a disease or it could be somethin' much nastier” Sam said “all right. Oklahoma” Dean said and gets in the car “man, work, work, work. No time to spend my money” Dean says and we drive off.

We pull up to a Gas and Power Company Building and get out of the car, approaching a guy. “Travis Weaver” Dean asks “yeah, that's right” Travis says and looks up at us “are you the Travis who worked with Uncle Dusty” Dean asks. “Dustin never mentioned nephews or a niece”? “Really, well, he sure mentioned you. He said you were the greatest” Dean said. Travis smiled “he did” “listen, we wanted to ask you, what exactly happened out there” I asked?

“I'm not sure. He fell in a sinkhole, I went to the truck to get some rope, and, uh, by the time I got back” Travis stopped. “What did you see” I asked “nothing, just Dustin” Travis said. “No wounds or anything” Sam asks confused “well, he was bleeding from his eyes and his ears, his nose. But that's it” Travis said “so you think it could be this whole mad cow thing” Dean asks? “I don't know, that's what the doctors are sayin'” he said with a shrug.

“But if it was, he would've acted strange beforehand, like dementia, loss of motor control. You ever notice anything like that” Sam asked acting all smart. “No, no way, but then again, if it wasn't some disease, what the hell was it”? “That's a good question” Dean says. “You know, can you tell us where this happened” Sam asked “yeah” he says. After a while later we ended up at the scene of Dustin's death. The sinkhole that Travis talked about what surrounded by police tape. “Huh, what do you think” Dean asks “I don't know. But if that guy, Travis, was right, it happened pretty damn fast” Sam said.

We duck under the police tape and look into the hole with a flashlight. “So, what, some sort of creature chewed on his brain” I asked? “No, there'd be an entry wound. Sounds like this thing worked from the inside” Sam said. “Looks like there's only room for one” Dean said “small space” Sam said and looks at me and I sigh “fine” I said. Dean quick looks up “wait what”? “Oh, don't worry Dean” I say and tie the rope around his waist. “I'll be in an out like a rabbit” I said with a smile.