Wendigo Pt. 3

Dean

We made a campfire and I drew something in the dirt around the campsite while Hayley pokes at the fire. “One more time, that's-” Hayley starts to ask “Anasazi symbols, it's for protection. The wendigo can't cross over them” I said and Roy laughs “nobody likes a skeptic, Roy” I said mad. I walk over to where Sam and Shelby are sitting at the edge of the campsite. Shelby is leaning on a log, asleep while I sit next to Sam on one.

“You wanna tell me what's going on in that freaky head of yours” I asked Sam “Dean-” “no, you're not fine. You're like a powder keg, man, it's not like you. I'm supposed to be the belligerent one, remember” I said with a small smile. A pause “dad's not here; I mean that much we know for sure, right? He would have left us a message, a sign, right” I said as Sam looks foreword.

“Yeah, you're probably right; Tell you the truth, I don't think Dad's ever been to Lost Creek” I said. I look at Sam and he looks at me “then let's get these people back to town and let's hit the road. Go find Dad, I mean, why are we still even here” Sam asked mad and annoyed. I get up and kneel in front of Sam, holding up dad's journal. “This is why” I said hitting the book.

“This book, this is Dad's single most valuable possession, everything he knows about every evil thing is in here. And he's passed it on to us. I think he wants us to pick up where he left off, you know, saving people, hunting things. The family business” I say and Sam shakes his head “that makes no sense. Why doesn't he just call us? Why doesn't he tell us what he wants, tell us where he is” Sam said.

“I dunno, but the way I see it, Dad's giving us a job to do, and I intend to do it” I said “Dean...no, I gotta find Dad, I gotta find Jessica's killer. It's the only thing I can think about” Sam said. “Okay, all right, Sam, we'll find them, I promise. Listen to me. You've gotta prepare yourself, I mean, this search could take a while, and all that anger, you can't keep it burning over the long haul. It's gonna kill you. You gotta have patience, man” I say to him.

Sam looks down, then up “how do you two do it, you and Shelby? How does Dad do it” Sam asks. I look over at Hayley and Ben “well for one, them” I said and Sam looks over there two. “Second” I looked behind Sam towards Shelby “are family has never been a family, now here we are. I can tell you this, I've never felt so close to our sister, to you then what we're doing right now” I say.

Sam pauses “I mean, I figure our family's so screwed to hell, maybe we can help some others. Makes things a little bit more bearable” I say to Sam as another pause come “I'll tell you what else helps” I said making Sam look at me “killing as many evil sons of bitches as I possibly can” I say with a smile.

Sam smile and a twig snaps “help me, please” someone yells make Shelby wake up and Sam, Shelby, and I stand up, reading my gun. Everyone stands up as it calls out again “help” Shelby cocks her gun while Sam shines a flashlight around. “He's trying to draw us out. Just stay cool, stay put” I say trying to stay calm “yeah, easy for you to say” Shelby says to me, standing next to me.

“Inside the magic circle” Roy asks “help, help me” all of a sudden we hear a growling noise and Roy points his gun at the sound. “Okay, that's no grizzly” Roy says “you think” Shelby says as Hayley talks to Ben who is scared “it's okay. You'll be all right, I promise” something rushes past making Hayley shriek. We turn towards them “it's here” Shelby says almost a whisper.