Wendigo Pt. 1

Dean

Sam jerks awake after he's been asleep for a few hours and blinks rubbing his eyes. I looks over, concerned. “You okay” I asked him as Sam glances over at me then away “yeah, I'm fine”. “Another nightmare” Shelby pops her head foreword surprising Sam and I “I though you were asleep” “I was, about 15 minuets ago” Shelby said making me roll my eyes at her.

I look over at Sam “you wanna drive for a while” I asked and Shelby looks at me “what, you never asked me to drive”. I ignore her as Sam laughs “Dean, your whole life you never once asked me that” “just thought you might want to. Never mind” I said a bit annoyed now. “I want to” Shelby said “in the back” I said pointing to the back seat making her sigh, mad.

“Look, man, you're worried about me I get it, and thank you, but I'm perfectly okay” Sam says to me. “Mm-hm” I said to him as Sam grabs a map “all right, where are we” Sam asks “we are just outside of” I look in the rear view mirror at Shelby “where are we again” I asked. She glances at me a bit mad “well I wouldn't know, I can't see anything back here”.

I do a small smile “hey, I'm offering to change seats with you” Sam said looking at the back at Shelby. “Dean doesn't want that” “hey, I had to deal with you sitting shot gun for while” I said to Shelby and looked at Sam “it's Sammy's turn” I said with a smile. “Grand Junction” Shelby said “see, told yeah you knew” I said with a smirk to Shelby while Sam folds down the map, which is of Colorado.

“You know what, maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon” Sam said “Sam, we dug around there for a week and came up with nothing. If you wanna find the thing that killed Jessica-” “we gotta find Dad first” Shelby finished for me. “Dad disappearing and this thing showing up again after twenty years, it's no coincidence. Dad will have answers. He'll know what to do” I said.

“It's weird, man, these coordinates he left us. This Blackwater Ridge” Sam said “what about it” I asked “there's nothing there, it's just woods”. Sam puts down the map “why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere” Sam asks as we drive past the National Forest sign that says "Welcome to LOST CREEK COLORADO National Forest".

Shelby

Sam is looking over a 3D map of the national forest “so Blackwater Ridge is pretty remote. It's cut off by these canyons here, rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place” Sam said as Dean and I look around. “Oh my god, Dean look” I said making Sam and Dean look at me “I found you” I said with a smile pointing to a pitcher of a huge bear, dead.

Dean walks over and slightly pushes me with a smile “dude, check out the size of this freaking bear” Dean says looking at it. Sam looks over and walks over, standing next to Dean while I'm on the other side. “And a dozen or more grizzlies in the area. It's no nature hike, that's for sure” “looks like Smokey won't be looking for forest fires this year” I said. “You kids aren't planning on going out near Blackwater Ridge by any chance” we quickly spin around to see a forest ranger.

“Oh, no, sir, we're environmental study majors from UC Boulder, just working on a paper” Sam says and laughs a little. “Bull” the ranger says as Sam's eyes flick to Dean and I who don't move. “You're friends with that Haley girl, right” Ranger says and before anyone can say anything I speak up. “Yes we are, she told me about this place and I just had to come Ranger Wilkinson” I say.

“Well I will tell you exactly what we told her. Her brother filled out a back country permit saying he wouldn't be back from Blackwater until the twenty-fourth, so it's not exactly a missing persons now, is it”. We all shake our heads “you tell that girl to quit worrying, I'm sure her brother's just fine” Ranger Wilkinson said.

“We will, well that Haley girl's quite a pistol, huh” Dean said “that is putting it mildly” Ranger Wilkinson said. “Actually you know what would help is if I could show her a copy of that back country permit. You know, so she could see her brother's return date” I say and the Ranger smiles at me “sure thing”. He hands me a piece of paper “thank you” I said as we all walk out.

Dean laughs “well, well, well looks like you've been learning from me” Dean said “nope, just sometimes needs a girl's touch” I said with a smirk. “What, are you cruising for a hookup or something” Sam asks “what do you mean” Dean asks “the coordinates point to Blackwater Ridge, so what are we waiting for? Let's just go find Dad. I mean, why even talk to this girl” Sam asks as Dean and I are on one side of the car and Sam on the other.

“I don't know, maybe we should know what we're walking into before we actually walk into it” Dean said. Dean looks at Sam surprised and confused “what” “since when are you all shoot first ask questions later, anyway” Dean asks? “Since now” Sam says and gets into the car. “Really” Dean says with a smile as we get in the car and drive off.

Dean and Sam go talk to the girl while I do my own research. We met back up at a bar near by and sat down at a table. “So, Blackwater Ridge doesn't get a lot of traffic, local campers, mostly, but still, this past April, two hikers went missing out there. They were never found” I said “any before that” Dean asked me? “Yeah, in 1982, eight different people all vanished in the same year. Authorities said it was a grizzly attack” I said.

I bring out a newspaper I printed off and showed it to them. Dean and Sam read it over “there was another in 1950, and one before that in 1936” I said. Sam polls out his laptop “and I checked the video that the girl sent me about Tommy”. Sam opens his laptop and shows us the video “every twenty-three years, just like clockwork. Okay, watch this, here's a clincher. I downloaded that guy Tommy's video to the laptop. Check this out” Sam said and goes frame by frame, one at a time.

A shadow crosses the screen “do it again” Dean said as and Sam repeats the frames. “That's three frames, that's a fraction of a second. Whatever that thing is, it can move” Dean hits Sam “told you something weird was going on”. I rolled my eyes at him “yeah” Sam said and closes the laptop. “I have one more thing” I said and hand over another newspaper article. “In 'fifty-nine one camper survived this supposed grizzly attack. Just a kid, barely crawled out of the woods alive” I said.

“Is there a name” Dean asks as him and Sam look at the paper “yup, known as Mr. Shaw now” I said.