Hook Man Pt. 2

Shelby

Dean, Sam, and I headed to 9 Miler Road, pulling up and getting out of the car. Dean hands Sam a rifle “here you go”. “If it is a spirit, buckshot won’t do much good” Sam said “yeah, rock salt” Dean said and handed him rock salt while I grabbed a gun as well and loaded it up. “Salt being a spirit deterrent” Sam said as Dean takes out a coil of rope and shuts the trunk. “Yeah, it won’t kill ‘em, but it’ll slow ‘em down” Dean says. We start to walk towards the trees. “That’s pretty good. You and Dad think of this” Sam asked Dean?

“Nope, all Shelby” Dean said, pointing back to me who was walking behind him, next to Sam. “I told you, you don’t have to be a college graduate to be a genius” I said. Suddenly we hear noises among the trees and stop walking. Sam raises his gun and looks around before looking foreword and aims the gun before cocking it. A figure comes out from behind the trees. It is a sheriff. “Put the gun down now, now, put your hands behind your head” the sheriff yells.

Sam, Dean, and I do what he says “w-w-wait, okay, okay” I yelled to him. “Now get down on your knees. Come on, do it! On your knees” we get down on our knees. “Now get down on your bellies, come on, do it” the sheriff yells as I pull out my gun and we lay down. After a long night I ended up getting out and busted my brothers out as well. Dean and Sam walked out of the police station “saved your asses” I said with a smile as they walked up yo me “talked the sheriff down to a fine, I'm like the girl version of Matlock” I said with a smile. “But how, you had a gun too” Sam asked “well, for me I told him that I also carry a gun out when I'm in the woods. I mean with everything going on around here, who wouldn't”.

Dean and Sam nodded “for you two I told him you two were a couple of dumbass pledges” I said. “What about the shotgun” Sam asked “I said that you were hunting ghosts and the spirits were repelled by rock salt. You know, typical Hell Week prank” I said. “And he believed you” Dean asked “well, you two look like a couple of dumbass pledges” I said. Seconds later, several sheriffs run out of the building and speed away in police cars. Sam, Dean, and I exchange a look before getting in the car and driving off.

We ended up driving past Lori's sorority building. Lori is wrapped in a blanket, sitting in the back of a parked ambulance as we drive by and look at her. We parked the car on another street before getting out and walking around to the back of Lori's sorority. “Why would the Hook Man come here? This is a long way from 9 Mile Road” Sam asked “maybe he’s not haunting the scene of his crime. Maybe it’s about something else” I said. Two sorority girls come out the side entrance of the building, but they don’t see Dean and Sam. They quick lean against the side of the house next to some bushes to hide themselves.

The two sorority girls look over at me and smile and wave before continuing walking. “Dude, sorority girls, think we’ll see a naked pillow fight” Dean asks Sam and I hit him hard in the gut, making him groan and kneel over. “Jesus, sorry” Dean says as Sam tried to climb onto the balcony of the house. Dean helps him up and then me before climbing up himself. Once we're in we sneak into Lori's window. Sam goes first but before he stands Dan falls on top of him.

“Oh, sorry” Dean says “be quiet” Sam whispers “you be quiet” Dean whispers. “Will you both be quiet” I said crawling in threw the window to see we're in Lori's walk-in closet. Sam opens the door slightly and sees another sheriff leaving the bedroom. We wait until the sheriff goes downstairs and then opens the closet door. Once in Lori's bedroom we see some writing on the wall. “Aren’t you glad you didn’t turn on the light” I read confused. “That’s right out of the legend” Sam says “yeah, that’s classic Hook Man all right. It’s definitely a spirit” Dean says “Yeah, I’ve never smelled ozone this strong before” Sam says making a face as Dean moves over to the window.

“Hey, come here” Sam says and we walk over to Sam as he points to a cross symbol beneath the writing. “Does that look familiar to you” Sam says. We head back to the car and stand next to it while I hold a book that has the same cross symbol that was in Lori's room. “It’s the same symbol, seems like it is the spirit of Jacob Karns” I say “all right, let’s find the dude’s grave, salt and burn the bones, and put him down” Dean said.

Sam starts to read “After execution, Jacob Karns was laid to rest in an Old North Cemetery. In an unmarked grave” we all look annoyed “great” I say as Dean sighs and says “super”. “Okay, so we know it’s Jacob Karns, but we still don’t know where he’ll manifest next or why” Sam says. “I’ll take a wild guess about why, I think your little friend Lori has something to do with this” Dean says and we get in the car.

We head to a college party and are inside as we watch people dance around. Dean walks up to Sam. “Man, you’ve been holding out on me, this college thing is awesome” Dean says. He winks and smiles at a passing girl “this wasn’t really my experience” Sam says “let me guess. Libraries, studying, straight A’s” Dean asks and Sam nods. “What a geek, alright, you do your homework” Dean asks. “Yeah, it was bugging me, right? So how is the Hook Man tied up with Lori? So I think I came up with something” Sam said and unravels a piece of paper.

“1932. Clergyman arrested for murder. 1967. Seminarian held in hippie rampage. There’s a pattern here. In both cases, the suspect was a man of religion who openly preached against immorality. And then found himself wanted for killings he claimed were the work of an invisible force. Killings carried out, get this, with a sharp instrument” Sam says. “What’s the connection to Lori” I ask “a man of religion? Who openly preaches against immorality” Sam says and Dean and I both nodd, understanding it. “Except maybe this time, instead of saving the whole town, he’s just trying to save his only daughter” Sam says.

“Reverend Sorensen, you think he’s summoning the spirit” I asked “maybe, or you know how a poltergeist can haunt a person instead of a place” Sam asks? “Yeah, the spirit latches onto the reverend’s repressed emotions, feeds off them, yeah, okay” I say. “Without the reverend ever even knowing it” Sam says. “Either way, you should keep an eye on Lori tonight” Dean says. Sam nods “and what about you two”? Dean looks at an attractive blonde smiling at him by the pool table. “Reluctantly, I’m gonna go see if I can find that unmarked grave and you are coming with me” Dean says and grabs the back of my jacket.

“What” I say and sigh before walking with Dean. We head to the Old North Cemetery as night is on up. “So, want to tell me what Trevor said” Dean asks as we look around with a flashlight. “It was nothing” I said and Dean stops, shinning the flashlight on me “okay, cut the crap, whats going on”? “Nothing” I say “Shelby, I know you, your my sister” I sigh. “Now tell me what the hell is going on” Dean asks? The thought of telling him comes across my mind as I think of telling him, but decide against it.

“Listen Dean, you and Sam are my brothers. Right now, you two are the only family here. Dad is who knows where and mom” I sigh “mom's gone; I just got you two back together and I don't want to lose that” I said. “You won't, tell me whats going on” “I wish I could” I quickly said. “I wish I could tell you everything, everything about me, about whats going on with me, what really happened in hell. But I can't, because I'm scared on the consequences that will come out of all of this” I said.

Dean looked at me in silence, waiting for an answer. I sighed “Trevor found something out about me, he thought it was true, and I set him straight” I lied and walked away from Dean. I heard Dean sigh behind me before walking behind me. “Hey” Dean said, making me stop and turn around to see that Dean had found the headstone with the cross symbol engraved in it. “Well, we better get started” Dean said and took off his jacket as I did the same and grabbed a shovel before starting to dig.