Scarecrow Pt. 2

Shelby

Dean and I head back to the gas station. Dean pulls up in his car and gets out, Emily is standing by the gas pumps. “You two are back” she says to us as we get out “never left” Dean says. “Still looking for your friends” she asks and Dean and I both nodded. “You mind filling her up there, Emily” Dean asks and she grabs a pump and starts filling up the tank. “So, Emily, did you grow up here” I asked, leaning on Dean's car while he did too. “I came here when I was thirteen, I lost my parents, car accident. My aunt and uncle took me in” Emily says “they’re nice people” Dean says.

“Everybody’s nice here” Emily says “so, what, it’s the, uh, perfect little town” Dean asked? “Well, you know, it’s the boonies, but I love it. I mean, the towns around us, people are losing their homes, their farms. But here, it’s almost like we’re blessed” Emily says and Dean nods. “Hey, you been out to the orchard, you seen that scarecrow” Dean asks? “Yeah, it creeps me out” Emily says and Dean laughs and I nod “no kidden” I say. “Whose is it” I ask “I don’t know, it’s just always been there” Emily says and shrugs. Dean nods towards a red van parked by the garage “that your aunt and uncle’s”?

Emily looks at the van before looking back at us “customer, had some car troubles” Emily asked? “It’s not a couple is it, a guy and a girl” Dean asked Emily nods “mmhmm”, making Dean and I look at each other concerned. We end up going to Scotty's Cafe again and walk in to see him serving the couple whose car broke down. “Oh, hey, Scotty, can I get a coffee, black” Dean says to Scotty and he nods “anything for you” he asks me “um just water” I say and Scotty walks away to get it. “Oh, and some of that pie, too, while you’re at it” Dean calls to Scotty.

Dean and I sit at a table next to the couple. “How ya doing” Dean asks and the couple waves and smiles as they eat their pie. “Just passing through” I ask “road trip” the girl says. “yeah, us too” Dean says and they nod as Scotty walks over and places the water in front of me before refill their cider. “I’m sure these people want to eat in peace” Scotty says to Dean and I. “Just a little friendly conversation” Dean says and Scotty walks away. “Oh, and that coffee too, man, thanks” Dean says and Scotty looks agitated and Dean keeps talking to the couple.

“So, what brings you to town” Dean asks “we just stopped for gas. And, uh, the guy at the gas station saved our lives” the girl said. “Is that right” I ask “yeah, one of our brake lines was leaking. We had no idea, he was fixing it for us” the man said with a smile. “nice people” Dean says “yeah” the man says. “So, how long till you’re up and running” I ask “sundown” the man says. “Really” Dean asks and thinks for a moment, oh great, Dean has an idea.

“You know, I know a thing or two about cars. I could probably have you up and running in about an hour. I wouldn’t charge you anything” Dean says and the guy and girl look at each other before looking at me. “You know, thanks a lot, but I think we’d rather have a mechanic do it” the girl said. “Sure, I know” Dean says and pauses for a second “you know, it’s just that these roads. They’re not real safe at night” Dean says and I sigh as the couple exchange a look. “I'm sorry” the girl asks?

“I know it sounds strange” I say “but, you might be in danger” Dean quick adds. The man looks annoyed “look, we’re trying to eat, okay” the man says. “Yeah” Dean says and looks disappointed. The couple seems worried by Dean and I. “You know, my brother could give you this puppy dog look, and you’d just buy right into it” Dean says and I look at him, surprised he's talking about Sam. The bell above the café door jingles and someone walks in. Scotty comes out from a back room “thanks for coming, Sheriff” Scotty says. Dean and I look at each other nervous and frustrated. “Good going” I whisper to Dean.