Dead In The Water Pt. 1

Dean

I'm sitting at a table with a paper in front of me circling an obituary, the name Sophie Arlton. Shelby sits in front of me as an attractive waitress approaches “can I get you anything else” I look up and grin as I turn around the pen I was chewing on. Sam comes over and sits down “just the check, please” Sam says “okay” the waitress says and leaves.

I drop my head, then look at Sammy “you know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while” I said and point to the waitress “that's fun”. Shelby rolls her eyes at me as I hand Sam the newspaper. “Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago” I said.

“A funeral” Sam asked “yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever” “closure, what closure, people don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them” Sam said a mad. I looked at him “something you want to say to me”? “The trail for Dad, it's getting colder every day” Sam said “exactly, so what are we supposed to do” I asked Sam.

Shelby sighed at us “I don't know, something, anything” “you know what? I'm sick of this attitude, you don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do” I asked mad “yeah, I know you do, it's just -” Sam started “Shelby and I have been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off to college going to pep rallies. We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay” I asked?

Sam rolled his eyes as the waitress goes by, distracting Dean “Dean why don't you go get her number” Shelby said to me and I stood up to leave, getting the pitcher.

Shelby

I waited till Dean left and looked at Sam “okay, whats wrong with you” I asked “I just want to find dad” “why? Because you think that once we find him we're going to be a family again, things are going to be back to normal” I asked? “No, but they would be different” Sam said. I looked at Sam for a second “you're right, they would be different, you know what he will do, he look at you, hug, possible say he missed you, and then that's it. No “how you been” or anything like that” I said to Sam.

Sam looked at me “is that what he did with you” I sighed “no, I didn't even get a hug, dad didn't want to believe I was there. He still doesn't” I said as Dean came back “all right, Lake Manitoc, how far” Sam asked Dean.

Sam, Dean, and I got in the car and drove off. We drive past a sign that reads "Welcome to Lake Manitoc WI.". We pull up in front of the Carlton house and Dean knocks on the door. Will Carlton opens it “Will Carlton” I asked “yeah, that's right” Will said “I'm Agent Ford, this is Agent Hamill, and this is Agent Woods” Dean said pointing to Sam and me. “We're with the US Wildlife Service” Dean says and holds up an ID.

We fallow his Will Carlton to the lack to find Bill Carlton is sitting on a bench on the dock. “She was about a hundred yards out, that's where she got dragged down” Will said. “And you're sure she didn't just drown” Dean asked “yeah, she was a varsity swimmer. She practically grew up in that lake, she was as safe out there as in her own bathtub” Will said.