Wendigo Pt. 2

Dean

Sam, Shelby and I knocked on Mr. Shaw's door and he opened it with a cigarette in his mouth. “Look, ranger, I don't know why you're asking me about this, it's public record. I was a kid. My parents got mauled by a” Sam interrupts “Grizzly, that's what attacked them” Sam asked. Shaw takes a puff of his cigarette, takes it out, and nods “the other people that went missing that year, those bear attacks too” I asked.

There was a pause “what about all the people that went missing this year, same thing” Shelby asked? Another pause “we knew what we were dealing with, we might be able to stop it” I said “I seriously doubt that. Anyways, I don't see what difference it would make” Shaw says and sits down. “You wouldn't believe me, nobody ever did” Shaw said as Sam sits down across from him.

“Mr. Shaw, what did you see” Shelby asked making Shaw pause “nothing, it moved too fast to see. It hid too well, I heard it though, a roar. Like...no man or animal I ever heard” Shaw said “it came at night” Sam asked? Shaw nodded “got inside your ten” Sam asked “it got inside our cabin. I was sleeping in front of the fireplace when it came in. It didn't smash a window or break the door, it unlocked it. Do you know of a bear that could do something like that? I didn't even wake up till I heard my parents screaming” Shaw said.

“It killed them” Sam asked “dragged them off into the night” Shaw said nodding “why it left me alive, been asking myself that ever since” Shaw said and his hands go to his collar. “Did leave me this, though” Shaw opens his collar to reveal three long scars. Claw marks. We all look look at them “there's something evil in those woods. It was some sort of a demon” Shaw said.

I, Sam, and I walk the length of a corridor with rooms on either side “spirits and demons don't have to unlock doors. If they want inside, they just go through the walls” I said “so it's probably something else, something corporeal” Sam said “corporeal, excuse me, professor” I said. “Shut up, so what do you think” Sam said with a small smile.

“The claws, the speed that it moves... could be a skinwalker, maybe a black dog” Shelby said. “Whatever we're talking about, we're talking about a creature, and it's corporeal, which means we can kill it” I said. We walked outside and I opens the trunk of the Impala, then the weapons box, and props it open with a shotgun. He puts some guns in a duffel bag while Sam leans in.

“We cannot let that Haley girl go out there” Sam said “oh yeah, what are we gonna tell her? That she can't go into the woods because of a big scary monster” I asks “yeah” Sam said like it was obvious. “Yeah, you have fun trying to convince her to stay out” Shelby said. I looked at Sam “Shelby's right, her brother's missing, Sam. She's not gonna just sit this out. Now we go with her, we protect her, and we keep our eyes peeled for our fuzzy predator friend” I said and picks up the duffel bag.

“Finding Dad's not enough” Sam said as Shelby slams the weapons box shut, then the trunk. “Now we gotta babysit too” Sam asks as I stares at Sam “what” Sam asks “nothing” I said and throws the duffel bag at Sam and walks off with Shelby as Sam stares after him.

Sam, Shelby and I pull up into the forest making Hayley, Roy (a ranger), and Ben (Hayley's little brother) turn and look at us. Hayley shakes her head while we get out of the car. Sam opens the back door of the Impala and pulls out the duffel bag “you guys got room for two more” I asked “wait, you want to come with us” Hayley asked?