Chapter 16: A step to stay away

Ivanna

I'm left thundered by his sudden action. He has never talked to me like this before. The veins in his neck are about to pop out as he glares at me.

"I--- "

"Did you seek my permission before touching my stuff?" He sneers.

"I was just--- " I try to explain, finding my voice to speak.

"You were just what?" He howls again, coming closer to me. It fills me with terror and shivers. "You don't like my interference in your life. And  here you are checking my personal stuff. Why so double standards, Ivanna Rozario?"

My eyes start burning and welling up. I gulp down, peering into his dangerous gaze.
"I'm sorry," a whimper escaped my mouth and it hurts. It hurts more than yesterday when I was humiliated.

"You're sorry for what?" He groans

"For now and for this morning," I mumbled, staring at him.

His reaction is cold and blank.

"You shouldn't be sorry for this morning. After all, whatever you said was right," his voice filled with disappointment and it pricks me. Pressing my lips, I strive to hold my tears back.

"I didn't mean to hurt you,"

"I don't get hurt, Ivanna. No one can hurt me. Especially not a wife of two weeks," he shrugs, placing the album back in the closet as his gaze changes. I think he has noticed the closet we'll. "And thanks for your efforts. But you don't have to do all this. Don't touch my stuff here after. Got it?"

I nod, lowering my head as he walks into the washroom

My eyes don't leave his sight, his bitter and harsh.  words are echoing inside my head,

Wife of two weeks!

Why does that hurt so much? I'm the one to get irked by this relationship but I can't bear when he speaks like this to me.

I take lazy steps towards the bed and hop on it. Sitting there idly when Christian comes out and immediately gets on the bed without even looking at me.

"Won't you have dinner?" I ask.

"I already had," he says, closing his eyes as if he doesn't want to look at me. "You?"

"I had," I lied. My hunger is gone and I don't think I can swallow even a bite.

I lay next to him, wrapping the blanket around me. A drop of tear streams down from the corner of my eyes. What's happening to me? Why am I behaving like this? I made a mistake and he's just angry. That's it. I shouldn't be this affected by his anger. I don't care if he doesn't talk to me properly.

I squeeze my eyes shut, trying not to cry anymore.

*

"You have betrayed me"

"No!"

"You did. You did it"

"No, I didn't. I love you. I still love you," I scream my heart out at his silhouette.

"I think you're gradually falling out of love with  me," he speaks

"You know I can never do that. I love you so much," I shout as loud as I can to prove my eternal love for him.

"Don't lie to yourself. You don't love me," he takes his steps back, keeping me stunned and I can't speak, unable to find my voice.

I can only see him going away and then he's vanished.

I open my eyes while panting heavily and rolling them around, it's midnight. I sit up and look beside me, Christian is fast asleep, keeping a distance from me. It's then I realised he's in a different blanket. It stings me again and I cover my face tightly.