Chapter 84 : Hiding away

Ivanna

My eyes widen at the screen. Cold shivers run across my body and I cut the call right away without assessing anything. My heartbeat rises again. I look at Christian.

I can't do this.

Responding to Adrian will indirectly lead me to something I don't wanna do. I value our marriage, no matter how messed up it is. I value Christian.

Shoving my phone under the pillow, I buried myself in Christian's arms and closed my eyes tightly. He moves a bit and tightens his hold around me protectively.

As I strive to inhale his scent which can make me fall asleep in no time, I feel the phone vibrating under the pillow.

Damn it!

I'll have to switch it off before Christian wakes up. He has been toiling all day and he deserves a good sleep.

I squirm in his arms carefully and take the phone out. Aiming to switch it off, I found a message from Adrian.

What does he want?

He couldn't help telling me everything and I understood. But there's no point in calling me at this hour when he knows I'm actually married.

That's sick!

I open the message with shaking hands.

Adrian : "I'm really sorry about afternoon. But we need to talk, Ivanna. Will you please receive the call?"

His call appears again.

I need to give him a form answer. It's important.
I try to move Christian's hands from my waist but his hold gets stronger. After struggling for a while, I slipped myself from his hold, I got down from the bed and walked towards the balcony.

Fuck

I never expected to do such a thing.

"Thank God, You Answered At least.",Adrian says from the other end.

I'm still not prepared to talk to him.

"It's midnight," I reply.

"I know," he sounds low and takes a long pause. "I didn't call you the entire day because I didn't know how to talk to you after what I did. It was all out of emotions. I hope you understand"

I let out a deep sigh.

It's not his fault that my life changed unexpectedly. Should I blame him? He had no clue what happened to me after that night. And we were kinda clear that we were not going to meet anytime soon.

"I understand," I say

"That's-- that's a relief. But you're not having second thoughts about working in the firm, right?"

My heart stops beating for a second . I'm not sure if I'll be able to continue there after this. How can I stay around Adrian after knowing he's the one? A strong part of my past, someone I claim to love, the father of my dead child.

God, why does it always happen to me? Why am I always stuck with dilemmas?

I feel like crying.

"Listen, Ivanna," he sighs. "Don't discontinue this. Please. I hired you for your potential. Not because of the last we shared"

I have so many things inside my head.

I indeed want to work. It's something I always wanted. And my past, my personal life should not be the hurdle.

Why should I compromise?

However, if I even discontinue, Christian will definitely go to ask me the reason. He knows me so well. He knows my passion, my goals. He will understand there's something wrong and I don't want him to know about Adrian, let alone face him.