Chapter 64: Ready to Pay Any Price

Ivanna

We have come back to the city again after a tiring day. Undoubtedly, I know why Christian chose the place to go on his father's death anniversary. I would never know so many layers of his life if we didn't go there. He would never tell what he had been through all his childhood.

I feel bad, in fact worse. Even though he had a good life later on, those two years of trauma as a child could never be forgotten.

I just love the way he adores his second father. The way he describes him melted my heart.

I'm scrolling through the emails on my MacBook while thinking about Christian. This man is never off my head.

I heard the sound of the washroom door open. Christian comes to me straight and holds the MacBook, sliding it down from my lap and placing it on my knee. Since there is a blanket beneath it, he throws his head on my lap, wrapping his arms around me and snuggling to my lap closing his eyes.

He's tired and his face says it all.

Lovingly I smile at him. I dip my fingers in his hair and nuzzle them. He squirms in my lap, snuggling closer to my stomach.

"Is my baby too tired?" I chuckle.

He immediately lifts his eyes in surprise.

"Wow, Mrs. Scott. I didn't expect you to be so pampering," he says.

"Well, sometimes The Great Christian Scott needs some pampering too."

"You know right," he sighs in a drowsy way, digging his face into my stomach again. "It was such a long day. Why are you still on the screen?" His muffled voice comes.

"Oh, that's-- "

I scroll it again with my left hand while caressing his hair with another one.

"I have to check the response."

"About what?"

"I applied to a few firms for an internship. Just checking if there's any call for an interview," I say.

He looks up again and frowns at me.

"And you didn't bother to apply in my company. Just come over there. I'll miss you less," he pouts his lips adorably.

"A straight NO, Mr. Scott. I'm not coming there."

"But why?"

"Definitely, I don't want to [expletive] my boss in his cabin. I know you. You'll end up sticking to me or inside me every chance you get," I tell him.

"I'm really professional in the office," he scoffs.

"I think I'm capable of changing that too. Unknowingly. So, I better not take a risk." I pass him a fake smile. "And definitely, I would want people to trust me as an employee. In your office, that's impossible."

"What kind of girl are you?" He stares at me.

"Like what?"

"Like-- you. I don't know how to describe."

Our eyes meet, and I gently place my hand on his eyes.

"Sleep. You need to sleep right now, Mr. Scott." I lean down and kiss his forehead.

He holds my hand from his eyes and slides it down.

"Please, come over there," he requests. But I just don't wanna mix that up. I have already seen a huge difference in him and how he gives almost more than half of his time and focuses on me.

That's not possible all the time. Besides, my goals are different from everything.

"I would. But that's not my field, you know. Emily is working there because she badly needs a job to survive. But I know how difficult it is for her. I wanna focus on my career in my field which I won't get in a multinational company. I wanna learn things I would need for my career," I say.