Chapter 56 : A promise : A Night at the Cottage - 2

Christian

I can hear Ivanna breathing heavily after speaking about everything she has inside, even though I know there are still a lot of things that remain unsaid between us, piled up for the right time.

I don't know when the right time is gonna arrive but, certainly, I'm not gonna let her go, no matter how hurtful and deep the secrets are, I just can't let her go.

I hold her hand upon my chest and turn around. I can see her face shining rosy through the bonfire. Her eyes glisten with eye contact, filled with an urge-- as if she badly wants me to respond.

Spiralling my arms around her waist, I pull her up from the ground as our noses touch. She closes her eyes immediately as a sign of insistence on her lip. Her lips part to mine into hers as I capture her bottom lip, sucking it lovingly-- a warm comforting kiss to tell her that I'll be always there for her in all the damn situations. I can't promise her or myself that I can't hurt her but I'll never let her little world crumble down again.

"Sometimes-- " I gasp between the kiss as she looks into my eyes, going breathless. "Sometimes the wrong person gives us all the right things in life, Mrs Scott. You'll get plenty of the right man for yourself. I want to be the wrong man in your life to make it the best"

Before she can react, I seal her lips again in a deep kiss.

It last longer than I expected. When I pull away. She's silent, trying to come out from the awkward conversation.

"So, what will you have for dinner, Mrs Scott? I'll have to get it prepared soon," I chuckle

She bites her bottom lips, and this damn thing is enough to get me hard. This girl sets my heart on fire with every fucking thing she does. Even when she breathes.

No doubt, I have lost it after her.

You're wasted, Christian.

"Anything you want to have," she replies as I stare at her.

"You can't have yours, Mrs Scott" I give her a playful smile and her face flushes. Her mouth hangs open as I chuckle.

"You-- " she grits her teeth.

"I-- what?"

"You're shameless" she pushes me with force turns around and I bet she's blushing and smiling.

"Where's the washroom? I wanna change" she groans.

"I know the direction of the washroom and also where you'll get the clothes" I lean into her neck and whisper. "Should I help?"

"You're seriously a horny beast all the damn time. Just fuck off," she storms out of the room, leaving me laughing hard.

"Is anyone here? Tell me the way to the washroom" she screams outside.

"Coming, Madam" Samantha yells back.

I slam myself on the couch, still chucking at her. I can stand every emotion of her except for her breakdown.

"But you'll be her biggest breakdown, Christian" my subconscious screams at me.

My eyes move towards the window, the shining stars. A smirk occurs across my face as I realise why I gave nothing in this materialistic world.
My sanity and my world are filled with people who left the world one by one.

"I wish I could tell you, I . I lost more than you have" my eyes burn looking at the four starts I imagined as my world.

One of them is Aunt Jennifer.

Years back----------------

Just a mint before my house burnt down.

"Hey, Aunt Jen. You're here today?" I rushed towards the exit-- of the school gate.

She passed me a warm smile and walked towards the bench near the gate. She sat there and made some space for me.

"How was your day?" She asked.

"It was good," I said, confused to find her here. "How's the little leprechaun? She had a fever last night"

"She's fine now" she paused and a long silence occurs. "She's fine until I'm there"

I squirmed a bit as she repeated it differently.

"I don't know what will happen to her after me," she looked away, her eyes were calm and tired.

"I--- I didn't get you"

"It's obvious," she smiles at me. "You're too young to understand things I want to share with you. I wish you were old enough to understand or we had more time"

Her words gave me proper anxiety because I had never seen Aunt Jennifer so exhausted and calm before. She was a cheerful and happy lady.

"I'll just tell you a few things you can understand"

I nod

"I know you are the only one I can trust, Chase" she pats my head. "I'm having some bad thoughts nowadays. And I can't explain them. They are weird and tough for you to believe. I'm not worried about myself but Ivanna"

My eyes widened as she said her name.

"What--- what about her?" I exclaim

"Not yet. But she is still so young and there's a long way waiting for her. She has a big life to survive and I think I won't be there for her forever"

I could sense her voice breaking. It felt like she had a big burden inside her but she couldn't tell me. Naturally, a 12 years old could never understand.

"Aunt Jen, are you okay?" I asked.

"Yes, I am" she smiles caressing my hair. "I want a promise from you. Will you promise me one thing?"

"Anything for you. You know that" I urged.

"Promise me," she held my hand tightly. "Promise me that you'll always be there for Ivanna. You'll always take care of her like the way you do now. I know you'll do it because I have seen your affection for her which I have not seen in anyone after me. If something happens to me, you'll handle her"

I was left dumbfounded by her words. She already sensed her life coming to an end. I didn't know I'd she knew about it nor was I mature enough to ask her anything.

I just knew that she had asked me to do something which I would eventually do even if she never asked me to.

"I'll take care of Ivanna forever, Aunt Jen. That's my promise " I uttered.

And that was the last time I talked to Aunty Jennifer.

Thirteen months later, I saw her from a distance when she was being buried. That I got to know what she meant. However, I wasn't capable of fulfilling the promise I had made her.

I was dead for the entire world. I was eventually an orphan, After losing my parents in the fire. I didn't remember how I was saved.

A year After the fire took place, I heard a young woman from the place I lived died and she was about to get buried. Curious, I went to the graveyard only to find little Ivanna crying near her mother's grave.

I couldn't gather the courage to reach her and saw her from a distance after a long year. Richard was trying to take her away from the grave but she wasn't listening to any of them.

Just when I recalled the promise I made to Aunt Jennifer, I tried to walk towards her.

"Hey, Chase. We're getting late for work. Master is gonna throw us out of the house." My fellow said from behind.

How could I even take care of her?

I had nothing

I just walked away.

Far away from her and apologised to Aunt Jennifer. I couldn't fulfil her last wish.

I made a promise to her again while walking away, "I'll fulfil the promise, Aunty Jen. I'll fulfil it when I'm capable of taking care of her. One day, I'll be capable of her"

---------------------------

My eyes simmer as I keep gawking at the brightest star.

"You aren't angry with me now, right? Yeah, I know sometimes you may feel angry at me because I make her cry. But you know that's tough. It's our secret" I whisper, throwing my head back. "But I hope I'm capable of her now. Am I?"