Chapter 45: The instinct

Ivanna

I can still hear my voice echoing around us I gawk at the girl who claims to be his girlfriend. My husband's girlfriend!, I don't think I have ever been into a more pathetic situation than this one.

"You didn't tell her?" She looks at Christian and I also look at him.

He mumbles as if he's nervous or confused-- I don't know what he's doing but he should deny it. Why isn't he saying a fucking NO?

Our eyes meet and I question him with my gaze.

"Serena-- you," he mutters.

"I-- what? I thought you told her," she looks back at me, my chest tighten almost aching. "Let me tell, okay? It's normal among us. You know this is a bit different from common people"

I don't understand what the fuck she's talking about, but I can't take it. I don't wanna hear her stupid things. My breath catches and I gulp down.

"Right, Christian? Come on. Speak up. If you stay silent your wife will think I'm being a bitch to her innocent husband," she says.

"Oh, yes," he says, leaving me stunned.

I say nothing, only gape at him in disbelief.

"Yes, it's kinda common," he pulls a shameless smile and I wanna be angry. I wanna scream and walk away.

But I'm hurt more than I'm furious, especially when he accepts it so easily. My eyes start to burn.

Don't cry Ivanna.

Don't cry.

But it's too late for me to warn myself.

My eyes well up, I bite my lip tightly so as not to look dumb.

"Iv," hus smile fades away as he strives to come closer but I jerk my hand from his hold.
Tears keep steaming down.

"Het, we were kidding," Serena says.

I didn't even look at that woman.

"Iv, it was-- " he tries to speak but I storm away from there, walking through the crowd with my dumb self

I'm stupid.

So fucking stupid

"Iv," Christian's voice comes from behind, and I know he's chasing me. for what?

Either they were making a fool of me, or whatever she said was true and later they tried to hide it.

"Iv, listen to me," Christian grabs my arm from behind and turns me towards him near the counter, I glare at him.

He stares at me without saying anything for a while.

"You're crying?"

"So, what do you want me to do? Laugh at my husband's affair?" I seethe.

"She was kidding," he urges, getting closer to me. "Then I thought to tease you a bit. I didn't know you would be so serious."

Why won't I be serious?

If he can ditch my sister on the day of their wedding for me.

He can do the same with me.

I don't trust him. I don't.

"Leave me alone, please," I jerk off my hands, sitting near the counter, looking away. But he doesn't leave.

"I'm sorry," he touches my cheek. "Trust me it was just a joke."

"Why should I trust you?" I bark at him in anger.
"You told me you don't hug people all the time. But you just did"

"She did. I couldn't pushe her. It wouldn't look good"