Chapter 42 : The Cracks

Christian

"You want that one?" I asked Ivanna, looking at the book she was staring at for a long time. And of course she can't reach it.

"I can take it," she shoots me a glare and looks up again.

I have brought her to the library again, wishing to lighten up her mood. She hasn't spoken to me the entire way and it sucks. I love her ranting , not her silence.

"You can't reach it, Iv. Let me-- "

"No," she says straight.

"Okay, fine. You'll take it with your own hands," saying I reach behind her and grab her waist, lifting her up so she can reach the upper shelf.

"Chris!" She exclaims, looking down at me with her big devastated eyes, making me smile. I have yearned since yesterday to hear that from her.

She looks around as she realise her voice was loud enough. I find a few people around smiling at us.

"Get me down. You make me embarrassed," she whispers, gritting her teeth at me.

"Take the damn book first. You can never reach it even if you jump with all your strength"

She murmurs, glaring at me and takes the book and I bring her down.

"What's this about?" I ask, leaning against the shelf and staring at her when she opens the book, putting her nose into it.

"Why, You aren't picking your favourite genre. Romance?"

"It sucked," she scoffs.

"But it's your favourite genre, isn't it?"

"Now, it's not. It's pathetic shit"

"Why so?"

She stares at me with her intense eyes, filled with complaints and agony. Those eyes give chill all over me as I strive to feel the depth of her gaze. She says nothing and walks away towards another shelf without replying to me.

"Iv," I whisper. "You know you have hardly said ten words since I caught up with you near your college?"

I don't think I have ever sounded so desperate because someone isn't talking to me. She says nothing and press her lips, looking down.

"You're ignoring me. Seriously?"

Silence! And I fucking hate it.

"You're literally avoiding me. Do you know women die to have my attention?" I try to make her furious because that's the only way I can make her talk. I won't mind taking her anger.

She slams the book shut and rolls her eyes at me.

"I'm not among them," she scoffs, "I'm not dying to get your attention, Mr Scott. And why do you even need that? Why are you wasting your precious time here on me? Go and make money. After all, you can do everything with your so-called money and power"

Her voice shakes as if she was going to cry.

Fuck! I didn't want that.

She looks away to her her ruddy eyes. My hand automatically reaches her cheek. Her skin is hot and shivering.

"Iv," I whisper, pulling her in my arms and staring down at her. "I'm sorry"

"For what?"

"For hurting you"

"That doesn't matter," she gets away, pushing me lightly. "Can we leave? My head is aching"

"From when? Why didn't you tell me before?" I panicked looking at her face.