Chapter 89 : Jennifer's words

Christian

Sophia takes a slow step towards me without even blinking her eyes for once. She reaches me. Her lips twitch to smile but she doesn't. Her shaking old hand lift to my face.

"Chase!" She whispers in disbelief. "You're Chase?  You're Alive?"

A smile rips on her Sophia was the only family Aunt Jen. That was why I knew about Sophia. whenever she used to meet Aunty Jen, she used to bring Ivanna. That was how affectionate she was. I had only a few memories with her, yet they were filled with affection and love.

"You have grown up so much," her eyes flicker with her voice shivering in joy. "Come, sit. Let me make you something good to eat.Come"

She holds my arms to lead me to the couch but I don't move.

"No, Sophia"

She tilts her head back at me confusingly and wriggles her wrinkled face.

"You know why I'm here. I just need to know  the truth," I say firmly. "I know you are aware of everything "

Her smile fades away and tension rises in her eyes.

"Why do you wanna know about her after so many years?" She exclaims.

"Because now I can do something"

*

My eyes dart on the pages of a vintage journal, bled with painful words, stains of teardrops.

"I think Richard's cheating on me. For years, I have sensed this but I was so blind in his love to understand that. I still can't believe he did this to me with my best friend. I trusted both of them so much. I trusted Janice more than him. But everything seems to be so fake now.

But I can't do anything. For my daughter. I can only keep silent. Richard can be the worst husband but he's a great father. I can't separate my daughter from her father. She loves him so much"

I flinch, letting out a deep sigh.

You were so wrong, Aunt Jen. For the first time, I believe you were wrong. If a man can't be a good husband, he can never be a good father. Sooner or later, he ends up using his children too. And he did that years later.

I pressed my lips to hold back the frustration and continued to read.

"And I don't think I'm capable of separating Ivanna from Richard. I have spent eight years of my life believing in Richard. I became a homemaker, unaware of the real world. I thought I would never need to see the world outside. My family would be my world. Now, I'm so useless and helpless that I can never claim my daughter. I fear if I divorce Richard, he'll eventually win Ivanna because he's indeed capable of raising her financially. He has gotten everything I had. And I was stupid to give him all"

A few pages were blank.

Then another page comes up. Months later.
Definitely, I'm not ready to read more than this. She was so alone, Isolated and left out. I couldn't imagine the pain she might be going through.

"I don't know why I'm feeling like I don't have much time. I'm having an awkward feeling. Richard is being too suspicious nowadays and I don't feel safe at all. I can't go to any cop either. How am I gonna prove my gut feeling?

I think I'm depressed. I'm going mad. That's why I'm overthinking"

After a few pages. Only one sentence is written.

"I'm overthinking"

After a few more pages.

"Everything will be fine"