Chapter 43 : He's My Husband

Ivanna

"I'm not going back to Dallas," Irene says, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Why? I mean, you should go back, Irene. Janice and dad must be worried for you," I reply

"I talked to them last night. So, there's nothing to worry about. I was eventually gonna move out." She smiles.

An awkward silence embraces us. I don't know what I'm gonna tell Christian. He will not like it if he gets to know I met Irene out of the deal. But I couldn't turn her down like that.

"Where are you staying now?" I ask to break the silence.

"You know my friend Ana, right? I moved to her place as soon as I was released," she says, making my heart twist.

"I'm sorry," I mutter, looking down. "I can't believe I'm the reason behind all this mess. I'm really sorry, Irene."

She grabs my hand, with a smile on her face.

"You were not at fault, Ivanna. You didn't even know anything. it's no one's fault when my man turned out to be a cheater."

It stings right away when she addresses him as her man. I look at her with no reaction.

"I'm sorry. It was a slip of tongue," she smiles painfully .

I don't know what to say but I indeed have some questions. She's the one who can answer them.

"Irene, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, sure."

I bite my lips in hesitation. "You said he saw me before"

I looked up at her nervously and found her
sighing. It disturbs me, still I want to know where it all started.

"Yeah, on the day of the engagement. I was showing him a family album. He saw your photo there and he just couldn't take his eyes off you,"

I feel a lump in my throat, confused about how I should feel. If the situation was different, I would definitely feel over the moon. Right? But the situation is so pathetic and it feels so wrong to be part of it. I clench my fists, gulping down.

"I found it weird but didn't wanna be unreasonable. Only if I knew he was attracted to you and planned to dump me," she halts as her voice breaks.

My body freezes right there

"I thought I was the last for him," she adds.

I don't think I can hear more facts about him.

"What have you decided? Are you staying with him?" Her question arrives finally for which I'm not ready. "Now, I'm fine. Ivanna there's no need to stay in a forced relationship. I'll talk to dad. I'll speak to him. You shouldn't spoil your life to save us. Just leave that two-faced jerk."

"Irene," I blurted out, leaving the chair and grabbing my bag. My lips pressed into a painful groan. "Please, just don't "

"What? Did I say something wrong?" Her tone changes right away. "Don't you know everything now?"

"I do. And I'll deal with it. I know how to tackle this but for god's sake, he's my husband. Just don't say such things about him in front of me"
She lets out a deep sigh.

"You can stop me, Ivanna. But have you ever come across a bunch of mouths to hear the same thing? I know you haven't. Because you won't find those women he has been with. I know him and the number of women he was with. I did the stupidity to think I could be the last for him, and you must be having the same misunderstanding that you could be that last. I think you haven't given him the most important thing. Just wait until that happens,"