Chapter 82 : He's Back

Ivanna

My brain stops functioning, I gawk at him in disbelief, shaking my head. Closing my eyes tightly, I strive to wake up. It has to be a nightmare.

It better be one.

"Face it, Ivanna." Adrian husks in a low tone as I feel him getting closer to me.

I take my steps back, widening my eyes at him.

He's staring at me intensely.

"Face the truth," he groans.

"It's not. It can't be," I can hardly speak.

"It won't change if you want it to be, Ivanna." He says softly, getting closer to me, I take my steps back

If he is the one, I'm surely in love with him.
But I don't know why it feels so wrong. So damn wrong. It feels sinful to get closer to him.

"It's true that-- " his hands come towards my face but I immediately nudge it away. My body shivers with anticipation as I don't even dare to look at him.

I don't know what I have gotten myself into. What is he going to do when I literally pushed him away? My heartbeat stops as I gather some courage to look at him.

Our eyes connect. Surprisingly, he's just staring at me calmly.

"I'm sorry. I got a bit-- " he pauses and tries to force a smile. "I was holding it back from the day I saw you in the gym"

My voice ices inside my throat like a lump as I gulp down, looking at him. Even though my fear is  gone somehow, I'm still shaking in anticipation, struggling to accept this truth.

His jaw clenches as if he's trying to control something.

"You didn't even recognise me," his voice is filled with disappointment and I'm still standing like a statue.

"Let alone recognising me, you even forgot the promise," he utters.

A long silence occurs between us when I can't move, can't even stay, his eyes darting on me.

"I was looking for you for months and then you suddenly appear in front of me," he goes out of breath and covers his mouth, tracing his palm down while rubbing them together.

A sarcastic smile appears on his face

"Married!"

It seems like a taunt.

I had so many things in my head. For so many months I knew what I was going to say when I would meet him, what I was going to ask. I had a bunch of questions and emotions filled inside me for him but the moment he crossed my part, everything seemed to be unreal--- as if it was never there.

"I thought it was special for you," he urges and u can sense his voice shaking.

Anticipation and guilt crumbles inside me.

"I-- it was-- " I can't complete it.

"I thought you would love me the way I did," he whispers. "The way I do. Still do"

I can remember countless nights when I used to pray and wish he fell in love with me. I didn't want the feeling to be one sided. And I thought the day I would know he loved me too, I would be the happiest.

But I can't find a bit of happiness inside me right now. I can't feel anything.

"I thought you would wait"

"I waited," I exclaim, defending myself.

He can't just blame me when he doesn't show up for twenty months. Almost two years.

He sarcastically smiles. "People wait for years if they are in love, Ivanna."

I don't know if I'm the victim of the culprit.

"You forgot everything," he leans down to me-- so close that my breath catches.

I force my hands to move and push him aside, rushing out of the lab.

My entire body gets impassive. I feel sweat forming all around me and goosebumps delivering through my skin.

I breathe heavily and hear someone calling me.

I don't look back

I can't look back.

Nor can I stay.

I run towards the parking lot as fast as I can and get inside the car while breathing heavily.

"Ivanna, are you okay?" Ethan asks.

I nod, trying to get my breathing normally.

"Yeah. I am. I am." I murmur.

"Should I drive you to the villa?"

"No, can you drive me to Christian's office?"

"Yes, But you don't look okay. I think you need to rest at home"

He pulls the car out of the gate, I wonder what the heck I'm doing. Why do I always look for Christian when anxiety takes over my body and soul?

"Home is never a place Ethan, It's a person" I whisper.

My heart looks for him each time to feel at home--  peaceful and safe.