Chapter Fifteen

Seth and company took a brief pause to soak in the surroundings along Parterre Way. There were a multitude of gardens in the area. Combee and Flabébé floated from flower to flower in what looked like a dance of sorts. All along the pathway, rollerskaters were enjoying themselves.

"This place is so cool! Oh I wish I brought my skates!" Shauna exclaimed.

"I know right? Those Combee are makin' me wanna bust a move and dance!" Tierno beamed happily.

"It certainly is nice isn't it?" Trevor inputted as he drank in the scene before him.

Holding up his camera, he snapped a few shots of the Flabébé that were floating about.

"Nice work Trevor! Those look so good!" Shauna grinned, patting Trevor on the back.

The ginger blushed sheepishly and smiled back at her.

"Th-Thanks Shauna," he replied, taking a deep breath before looking down at his camera.

Serena smiled at the sight of her companions enjoying themselves. She shifted her attention to Seth who seemed to be studying the Pokémon that were scattered along the route. His eyes seemed rather focused on the Combee that were going flower to flower while playing with the Flabébé. A smirk crossed Serena's features as she observed this.

"Scoping out prospects for a teammate?" Serena stated as she slid up beside Seth, imitating his extreme focus in a humorous manner.

"Something like that," Seth replied shortly, his attention remaining transfixed on the Combee.

"This is going to sound stupid, but we know that only female Combee become Vespiquen right?" Seth began, getting a nod from Serena.

"Right. After all, a hive needs a queen, right? Otherwise, how would it function?" Serena pointed out.

"That's true. But that's what I find odd. The queen has one main job. To produce more workers, the male Combee. But here's the part I don't get. Where are the soldiers? Male Combee are pretty much at a disadvantage in battle due to their lack of...well...anything in any department," Seth stated with a frown.

"Huh...I guess I never thought about that before," Serena mused.

"Neither have I...until now that is," Seth replied, reaching down to Pawniard's ball and snapping it off his belt.

"Seth...don't tell me you're gonna-"

"I am. Don't ask me why, because I don't even know myself," Seth added, releasing Pawniard from the sphere.

The Sharp Blade Pokémon materialized before his trainer and surveyed his surroundings. Glancing up at his trainer, he could see that Seth was focusing intently on something, but what?

Serena, catching sight of her friends heading towards the fountain, decided to leave Seth to his own devices for the time being and followed them.

Seth watched the various Combee as they floated about. They all seemed to be exactly the same, which explained why Seth seemed hesitant.