Chapter Forty-Three

Dusk had finally settled upon Seth and company's journey as they approached the famous Azure Bay. The setting sun glimmered across the crystal blue waters, making it even more of a perfect camping site for the gang. Tents were already going up around a fire pit that was created to ward off any wildlife that might tread near. Shauna and Serena pitched their tent between Tierno and Trevor. Allie set hers up beside Seth's. After camp was set up, the six travelers all sat down around a fire that was lit by Pyroar who was now lying down beside Seth in the sand. Every one else's Pokémon busied themselves with various activities of their own.

Pawniard and Cerise squared off in a bout of their own. Gogoat rested on the other side of Seth. Allie was on her side on a towel, her eyes focused on the book she'd brought along with her for the trip. Seth, who had been preoccupied watching the others at play, turned his attention to the lounging princess and the Furfrou at her side.

Feeling eyes on her, Allie glanced up into the azure depths of the man before her. Dawning a smirk, she placed her chin in her hands and said, "you know, pictures do last longer."

Seth arched a brow, earning a chuckle out of Allie.

"What? you didn't think I'd forgotten about that did you?"

"No. I'm more surprised you cared enough to remember," Seth replied coolly.

"Oh, I remember alright. I can't say that I was particularly happy with the things you said, but I will say this, you not being sucked into bickering like most idiots would, had me impressed. It appears that I am finding more to like about you the more I think about it," Allie added, smiling as she played with a lock of her hair.

"If I'm hearing you correctly, and I think I am, what you're telling me is that you took a few preemptive strikes at the competitors prior to the actual start of the competition..." Seth deduced.

"My research didn't lie about you being smart did it? Guilty as charged. I scoped most of you out and had predetermined who I felt was most worthy of my time. While you were an unprecedented addition to the lineup of suitors that I had deemed the crème de la crème, I must admit that I am perplexed by you," Allie mused with a furrowed brow.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Seth inquired, folding his arms.

"Well for starters, you didn't get flustered whenever I took a verbal jab at you. You also don't lavish me with adoration and call me beautiful in a million different ways like the others have done," Allie continued, glancing up at Seth with a question in her eyes.

It didn't take a mind reader to know what she was asking with those eyes. A slight smile tugged at Seth's lips.

"Allie, I say this with the utmost respect. I won't shower you with praise or promises I won't keep. Stealing your heart, while it is the desire of the rest of the competition, is not what I am after as you well know. But, I will not lie to you princess, you are beautiful. I'm not afraid to admit that. My sister even thinks so," Seth replied.

Allie knitted her brows at his response. While he had said this to her before, it didn't occur to her until now that something bothered her about that statement. She was surprised that he had called her beautiful, which for whatever reason, made her heart flutter a little. It wasn't until she felt a slight heat rise to her face did she realize why his reply bothered her.

Arceus above this can't be happening...

She wasn't sure why she felt what she was presenting feeling. Maybe it was the fact that she had been rescued, or perhaps it was that she was finding that she was actually enjoying his company. All she knew was that she had come to the realization that she she actually was starting to like him, if even a little.